September 16, 2009

5 Minute Face

Ok, so this is a follow-up to my last post. We all have days where we don't have tons of time to get ready, but it's still no excuse to not make an effort. You just have to have a plan in place and that goes for hair and make-up just like it goes for clothes. We'll start with make-up.

Make-up
The 5 Minute Face is a concept pioneered by Carmindy of What Not To Wear fame. The name basically explains it. All you do is figure out what products, tips, and tricks to use in order to get your face done in 5 minutes. For an everyday look this is a breeze. Obviously you probably need more than 5 minutes if you're going to an event or out on a date or something.
If you've got some color on your face, I say skip the foundation entirely. If you don't feel comfortable going bare-faced do a tinted moisturizer.
Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer
The more expensive of the 2 I'm showing, but certainly worth the price.

Stila Sheer Color Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15
Great and it has SPF!
Time to apply: 1 minute

Next is concealer, or an illuminating pen.
Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat
This is a little pricey, but I literally use ONE click a day. That covers under eye circles, corners of my eyes, underneath my brows, sides of my nose, and my chin. It's a concealer/illuminating pen in one. Basically it covers up things and bounces light off so it's SO fabulous on your face. LOVE this.

Laura Mercier Secret Camoflage
This is 2 different colors - one to match the skin's depth of color and one to match the skins undertone. Wonderful concealer!
Time to apply: 30 seconds

Blush
NARS Blush
Probably the best blush on the market. Tops Best Of lists year after years both with professionals and everyday women. Very sheer, buildable coverage in a wide range of colors. Can't say enough good things about this blush! Oh yeah, and it lasts forever.
Time to apply: 30 seconds

Eyes
Mascara
Dior DiorShow Mascara
If you're going to splurge on mascara, DiorShow is the way to go. It's great for giving you nice, full lashes but it IS a splurge. While I do love it...

CoverGirl Lash Blast
This stuff works JUST as good (if not better...) and is a 1/4 of the price. You can't beat that.
Time to apply: 1 minute (counting curling your lashes)

Ok, so we're up to 3 minutes. I say spend the other 2 on your eyes then put on lipgloss in the car right before you go in wherever you're going :) (But NOT while you're driving! I don't advocate that.)

Eyeshadow
NARS Duo Eyeshadow
NARS duo in All About Eve (not pictured) is one of my favorites. It comes in 2 complimentary colors - one for an all over wash and one for under your brows. You can't get any simpler than that.
Time to apply: 1 minute

Eyeliner
Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes
Once you line your eyes with this, you have about 10 seconds to smudge it either into your eyeline or to make a messy, smoky look and then it is SET. Like, it won't budge. Probably for at least 24 hrs. (Yes, I've slept in it. Bad, I know.) Great, great stuff.
Time to apply: 1 minute

Ok, so other than lips you're done! There are so many, many, many wonderful lipsticks and lipglosses out there but some of my personal favorites are Dior Addict High Shine Lipstick, MAC Lipstick, MAC Lipglass, and Laura Mercier Lip Glace. So many different colors to choose from in all of those it would be impossible to list them all!

Next up: Quick-fix hair, which will complete the trio on how to get ready fast!

6 comments:

The Byingtons said...

Great post! LOVE me a highlighting pen!! It makes such a difference. Mine's Mary Kay and works great! Perfect if you're looking for a cheaper alternative - only $18 - and also lasts forever.
http://www.marykay.com/kwtidwell/color/facialhighlightingpen/facialhighlightingpen/default.aspx

Katie said...

Thanks for the tip! I've never tried the Mary Kay one, so it's good to know there's a cheaper alternative out there.

Scarlet Letters said...

Another positive review for the MK pen... it has great staying power and the price is right. These are great tips, FM... keep them coming!

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christy said...

I bought some tinted moisturizer this weekend just to try your five minute face! I haven't worn makeup regularly in over a year and I'm going to give this a try because I don't want to go to the heavy foundation for everyday. Thanks for this - my weekday morning rush thanks you! lol

(Sorry for the deleted posts - that was me correcting my comment)