September 4, 2009

Football Fashion

Football season is upon us!* While in some parts of the country this might not be the biggest deal, in the south it is, well, a very big deal to say the least. Since a football game and tailgating is going to take up most of your day, it's important to think about what you're going to wear. In the south, it's very traditional for the sorority girls to go all out. This isn't always the most practical option. For many football fans, comfort takes top priority. This does not always look good. My personal preference is to find a happy medium. A little bit of practical fashion. Let's start with what I call "The Basic" outfit. I'll show it 2 ways - for warm and cool weather.

The Shirt
Let's face it - no matter what the temperature is, you want to wear a comfortable shirt in a breathable fabric. You can't get any simpler than a cotton tee.
Both of these options come in a variety of colors and are reasonably priced. There are also plenty of similar options on Jcrew and GAP's website if you want something a little different.
The Jeans
There are roughly 1 million brands, styles, and washes of jeans so I'm not even going to begin to try and cover all of that! Essentially know that you can find great jeans at almost any price point and of course, they go with everything. Here are just a couple of options:
I've shown 3 options here in a variation of styles and price points but like I said - there are MANY more to choose from. This is a just a small sampling from 3 companies that I think make outstanding denim.
The Shoes
This can be a tricky one. You're going to be doing a lot of walking and you don't want blisters, so you need something comfortable. Be sure to pick something you've already broken in - this is not the day to do that!
Ok I know these aren't exactly breaking any fashion ground but like I said, shoes are tricky. A well worn pair of leather sandals or flats are your best bet from my experience, and I've been doing this since I was 4 :) I would say both of these are much better options than tennis shoes!
The Accessories
Here's your chance to add a little punch to a basic outfit. Switching up accessories is one of the easiest ways to add versatility to your wardrobe.
A scarf or a piece of statement jewelry is just the beginning. Mix and match accessories that show your team spirit! And in the name of team spirit:
Houndstooth (Primarily applicable to UA fans!)
For Crimson Tide fans, houndstooth is a fun and easy way to add some fashion flair. Pick whatever represents you and your team best!
Obviously this is pretty basic, which is why I call it "The Basic". You can dress it up or down, or do something completely different like a simple dress or a skirt with the tee's instead of jeans. There are so many options, you have absolutely no reason not to show your style during football season!


*Since I'm a University of Alabama fan, I've chosen colors and prints that coordinate with the Alabama Crimson Tide. You should of course pick colors and prints that coordinate with your favorite team!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

OMG! I'd die die for that jacket! Eeks! So glad you "came out of the stalker closet" on my blog. AND that you are a fellow Rachel Zoe fanatic! She's bananas... : )

Katie said...

The jacket is fab! Rachel Zoe would totally die over it :)