November 5, 2009

DIY Manicure

No one enjoys going to the salon for a mani/pedi more than me, but if you like to do that weekly, or even every other week it can add up. Fast. I've gotten really into doing my nails at home and I have to say - I'm loving it. It looks just as good as a salon job, and I have all my favorite nail polishes, so why not? Here are my steps for the perfect DIY manicure:

1. Remove old polish/clean the nails
Using nail polish remover and cotton balls, wipe old polish off in a circular motion. If you don't have any polish on, just do a quick swipe on each nail to make sure it's good and clean.

2. Trim and/or file your nails keeping nails short and rounded

3. Buff nails
The Sephora 4-step buffer is my favorite. They come in packs of 3 and get your nails super shiny.

4. Condition cuticles
One click of this pen will take care of your entire hand. It's the easiest, least messy way I've found to get your cuticles manicure ready.

5. Apply base coat
Orly Top 2 Bottom is my favorite, as I've mentioned before. Love this stuff!

Ok, at this point you can stop if all you're looking for is a nice, natural nail. Otherwise, keep reading :)

6. Apply 2 coats of polish
2 coats of OPI or Essie nail polish should do the job. Those are my favorite brands.

7. Apply top coat
This is my newest top coat. It gets your nails dry super fast. If you get any nail polish around the edges, just dip a Q-tip in nail polish remover to clean it up.

This may seem like a lot of steps, but once you get the hang of it, it doesn't take long at all. Here are the results of my latest manicure:
Color is Essie - Chocolate Kisses

No comments: