November 16, 2009

I Want Curls...: Update

This is an update to this post.
It's been about a month, and after lots of trial and error I think I've made some progress.

What You'll Need:
A 1" flat iron with rounded edges
Any type of styling product that adds texture to your hair. I'm using Bumble & Bumble's Styling Lotion right now, but this is subjective. Use whatever gives your hair texture.

Ok, the easiest way to explain how to do this is to show you. I've learned through this that you can basically learn how to do ANYTHING on YouTube. Who knew? (Sidenote - this has now lead me to the world of makeup 'gurus' on YouTube, and their beauty blogs. Add that to my already expanding list of fashion blogs, plus the fact that everyone is on Twitter and, well, the addiction continues to spiral out of control...) Ok, so watch the video below if you want to see how to curl your hair with your flat iron!



Seems easy, right? Even after watching this and several other videos on YouTube it took me several times before I could get anything resembling a curl out of my hair. You have to remember to take small sections of hair and move slowly with the straightener (but don't just let it SIT on your hair, do keep it moving). Basically - this takes patience. Something I severely lack. This isn't something I would do everyday because it takes more time than I normally spend, but it's nice to have a different style to mix it up every now and then. I'm still convinced there is something simpler I could do to just put some loose waves in my hair, probably using a nicer curling iron than I currently have. I'm making a hair appointment this week so hopefully my stylist (who is one of my BFF's - hi Charli, if you're reading this!) can teach me some tricks.

So that's my curl update. I'm happy that I have in fact figured out a way to use my straightener to do something other than, well, straighten. Let me know if you have any tips of tricks you want to share!

2 comments:

Cristine said...

Just the normal stuff like use the OUTSIDE of the curling iron for loose natural-looking curls.

I'd also reccomend Sabastian hair spray for afterwards! And curl on DIRTY hair!

Mademoiselle Frou-Frou said...

i can't seem to get a good in-between look - it seems i get ultra curly (by putting wet pin curls in my hair before going to bed) or straight. good luck!
xox