February 2, 2010

Layering... Mascara?

I'm sure we've all layered clothing. Layered necklaces. But do you layer mascara? No? Just me? Ok well if you're not you're missing out, unless you have perfect lashes to begin with in which case I'm not sure I like you anymore. I kid. (A little.)
I find that you can usually only get a mascara to do one thing - lengthen or thicken - but not both. I don't even bother trying to get mascara to curl my lashes, I rely on a lash curler for that. Here are my top picks for mascara layering:

High End Mascara
Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash

For me, this mascara is best for volume but it does also add a little length. It's super dark so it's good for adding some drama to your lashes. The design of the brush helps it to get to the root of the lashes and completely coat each lash with product.


Dior DiorShow Extase

I'm not even going to lie, I bought this because I thought the brush was intriguing (and it is). I've used DiorShow and DiorShow Iconic in the past and loved both so it wasn't much of a stretch for me to try their newest mascara. Extase does a great job of lengthening and a decent job at volumizing as well. It's an excellent pairing with Smoky Lash. The combination helps to give you very dark, thick, almost false looking lashes (I said almost). The tiered brush has 2 different types of fibers, 1 to define the lashes and 1 for volume.

If you don't like spending a lot of money on mascara, there are several great drugstore alternatives.

Drugstore Mascara

CoverGirl LashBlast

Probably the gold standard for a volumizing drugstore mascara. It's my hands down favorite.


L'Oreal Telescopic

For lengthening, Telescopic is my drugstore go-to. It has a skinny brush that grips even the tiny lashes on the inner and outer corners and gives really great overall length. PERFECT pairing to LashBlast.

Ok, your turn. Tell me what mascara you use!

No comments: