March 29, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

I haven't been to see Tim Burton's version of Alice in Wonderland. I have no interest in the various jewelry lines that have been inspired by it and I didn't jump at Urban Decay's Alice in Wonderland palette, but for some reason, many weeks too late, I decided that I HAD TO HAVE the most popular color from OPI's Alice in Wonderland collection.
The collection came with 4 colors (from L to R): Off With Her Red!, Absolutely Alice, Mad as a Hatter and Thanks So Muchness! THREE of these you can find anywhere. ONE you cannot. That one would be - Mad As a Hatter. First, I went to Ulta. The salesgirl at Ulta gave me a list of places in the mall that I could try instead. I struck out there as well. I probably would have just let this go but my last stop at Trade Secret went like this:

Trade Secret: Can I help you?
Me: Yes, I was looking for "Mad as a Hatter."
TS: Good luck!
Me: Huh?
TS: Uhh, I work here and I couldn't get my hands on it. It's REALLY, REALLY in limited release, everywhere is sold out, and they've said they're not making any more.
Me: Oh ok, well thanks.
TS: I mean, I even went to a place ONLY STYLISTS can go and I couldn't even get it there.
Me: Um. Ok. Thanks.
TS: You'll never be able to find it.


Oh no she didn't.

Well, now I was completely determined to find it. And I wanted it to find it that night. And I didn't want to pay more than retail. Nothing like setting some goals for yourself, you know? You can buy it on eBay, because you can buy anything on eBay, but not for retail so that was out. I found a couple of websites that had it on backorder but that wasn't instant gratification so forget that. And then, it popped into my head, like a tiny vision:
The mini version! OPI almost always has a mini-set of their collections, especially the small ones like Alice in Wonderland. I found TWO different stores selling it on Amazon. Here and here. I got the $10.99 set which like many things on Amazon is less than retail, so I did even better than I was expecting. A full sized bottle of OPI retails for $8.50, so $10.99 for 4 minis (each about a 1/3 of a regular bottle) comes out pretty good.

So, there you go. Shopping challenge successful. Don't ever tell me I won't be able to find something because I think we all know I will. Oh and a sidenote to the girl at Trade Secret - next time your boss tells you something is so limited you can't buy it, have one of your friends come in the day it's released to purchase one with your money. It took me like 2 seconds to think of that. :)

12 comments:

Josie said...

Haha, I love this story. I'm thrilled that you found your color; it's so pretty!
xxoo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

kirstyb said...

wow fab - urban decay do bring out some great things x

Sophie Carmo said...

Fantastic...I follow you...I love your blog...Muakssss

Vintage Obsession said...

haha :) fab story nice:))

Kristin said...

You showed her lady! And now I WANT that mini set!

Tangy Tidbits (Tina Tang Team) said...

HAHA this story got me laughing out loud! Nothing is impossible when it comes to fashion! Congrats on the find Katie!

Follow if you want!:
http://tinatangblog.blogspot.com/
http://www.tinatang.com/

emily viveur said...

that's my favorite color of the four! i loved this story, HA to the girl at trade secret!

-emilyviveur

Taj Acosta said...

Nothing like a determined woman to pull of the impossible! You should totally go back to that clerk and show her your nails!! lol :)

Slumber Designs said...

Are you serious? Who would have ever thought! But now you've got to paint your nails and show us how great the color is!! ;-)

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime said...

I can't believe it's such a hot commodity! lol I would have tracked it down too :)

Bren said...

Oh I know the feeling! Don't tell me that I won't be able to get my hands on something...that'll make me even more determined! This just happened to with a Forever 21 shirt. Long story, but to keep it short...it's in my possesion. :)
Btw, I was just at Disneyland and they had all of the colors in full sizes at a gift shop in California Adventure. If I would've known, I could've picked you up a bottle.
Glad you were able to get it though!

www.chasingbeautyblog.blogspot.com

sharonlei said...

We have tons of the OPI Alice In Wonder Land line here on Maui. I guess not everyone on the island :) I guess it's not as popular here at it is for your mainlanders. :) I too go the mini version.. and a full bottle of the "Mad As A Hatter" color.

xx Love & Aloha