March 24, 2010

"I Would Never Spend That..."

Tonight I was in Target trying to decide what kind of hairspray I should try. At least in my Target, there is a section with all the drugstore brands and then a separate section with the higher end brands (which I've heard you shouldn't buy from Target or drugstore type places, but that's a different point). Anyway, I was looking at the BedHead line when a woman walked up and pretty much randomly blurted out "I would NEVER pay $15 for hair stuff!" I'm not sure if it was directed at me or not, but it made me think. When it comes to clothes, makeup, and beauty products what are your limits? What are you willing to spend your money on and what aren't you?

Makeup and Beauty 
 
For most makeup, I have to go with the higher end stuff but some of that goes back to my sensitive skin. I do think there are a lot of great drug store mascaras, L'Oreal does a great job with most of their stuff, the Sonia Kashuk brush line is a great value, and I love a lot of NYX products. Also for makeup removers, a lot of skin care, and anything disposable (makeup wipes, sponges, etc.) I'd always go drugstore. For hair products I've written before about my love of Aveda. Again, some of that goes back to my skin and if it weren't for that, I'd probably use drugstore shampoo and conditioner. As far as products though, I've hardly ever found a drugstore line that worked as well as a higher end one. The John Freida line is a slight exception, I do like some of their stuff . I can't rememeber the name of it, but they make a product identical to the Fekkai Glossing Cream at a fraction of the price.

Clothes and Accessories
In general, I would say I like to spend money on bags and shoes. It really comes down to what you get a lot of wear out of though. If you love denim and wear jeans a lot, investing in a nice pair isn't a bad idea. A nice dress is a good investment because it should last you a long time. T-shirts, knitwear, and anything that could possibly lose it's shape or fade you probably shouldn't spend as much on. The same goes for anything trendy that you're not going to want in the near future. Something like a nice piece of jewelry, especially if it's classic can go a long way because you can be wearing a very simply outfit and it will completely dress it up or add some interest to it.

Ok, so those are some of my thoughts. What are you willing to spend your money on? What do you think is worth saving on? Let's see some comments! :)

18 comments:

Fashion Therapist said...

I used to be that girl in college that spent $.99 on the Suave shampoo/conditioners, but seeing how I have hard to manage hair the expensive stuff really does make a difference. So....as much as it makes me cringe to spend that much money, it's worth it.

Beauty H2T said...

Love the post, it is really interesting to see who would spent how much and on what.

For me a good coat and handbag I am so willing to spend more on, and shoes even the ones I cant always wear!

Make up wise I have some high end stuff but I am a real sucker for good looking budget brands!

Bx

Beautyh2t.blogspot.com

Fashion Meets Food said...

I am the higher end product girl when it comes to everything. Hair products I go for the "salon" high end stuff. Make up is all expensive. Clothes some is designer and some is not. Shoes most of those are expensive.... I am an all around expensive person lol. Heck I change my purse so many times to show off all my persons people get mad at me. Oh well. Fashion is fashion and I love it. I am high end up groceries too... but sometimes I will save on that to get something designer... I am terrible ha

Tangerine Fairy said...

I will spend good money on foundation like bare minerals, because I don't care for the thick and unhealthy stuff..

kirstyb said...

oh to have that closet x

Barelyvogue said...

As you said I always divide the price by fraction of times I use and if the result and price make sense I say go for it. Only if you don't find anything equal in drugstore. Afterall your hair is with you most of your life when you pester it with all sort of treatments they deserve papering tooo

http://barelyvogue.blogspot.com/

tailorstitch said...

i've recently become addicted to makeup and to be honest as long as the quality is there and the product doesn't cost an arm a and a leg well its no problem for me. sometimes things are priced high for a reason

Heather said...

I'd drop $15 for a hair product. We all spend money on things we value....and price is all relative :)

Good blog topic.


http://underfundedheiress.blogspot.com/

Taj Acosta said...

Honestly, it depends on my mood! I spend more $ on certain areas like my eye creams etc. I love Philosophy, Kiehls, and Aveda but I'll also buy Burt's Bees and Cetaphil at the drugstore. I love Smashbox and MAC but I also love wet'n wild lipsticks! and Rimmel blush! I think it's good to mix high and low because a lot of things are made at the same factories! One thing I never budge on though is a great purse. If you have a nice purse, everything else in your look just comes together. Great post doll! xoxo

Alicia said...

I definitely save on shampoo/conditioner (i like Dove)and I also dye my own hair but I'm willing to spend a little more on quality makeup! i actually don't wear very much makeup but i love all Nars products!!!

Scarlet Letters said...

Fabulous topic!

Definitely willing to spend money on shoes, purses, sunglasses, certain pieces of jewelry, and outerwear since we have very cold winters here.

Don't spend as much on basics like tees and workout pants, because in my experience there's no correlation between price and durability.

I have sensitive skin and eyes, so some of the pricier products work out better for me, although I can use Neutrogena from the drugstore in a pinch. I also see a difference when I use "expensive" hair care products so I usually stick to those.

divine bunny said...

i want my closet like that one

and isnt that saying "poor little rich girl"

you spend all your money to look good but nobody knows you cant afford to eat.

CCWai said...

Well, for skincare, it's important not to get brands you don't know or trust. It's your skin you're playing with! As for clothes, it's okay to get something without a brand as long as it looks good on you.

emily viveur said...

i agree completely, i think the most money should go into bags and shoes but a nice dress is also necessary! after that, for me, it's probably staples such as a blazer, and so on.

Leah said...

I am willing spend money on my bags and for hair/skin products. I will never sacrifice the quality of the beauty products because skin and hair are really important. You may have the most expensive dress or pair of shoes, but if your skin and hair are at their worst element, the total look is not good. xoxo

littlechicagogirl said...

The only thing I'm willing to spend more money on is foundation (which is still not that expensive-I buy bare minerals), and underwear (victoria's secret). It's interesting-I am not averse to buying clothes from really low end places, but I refuse to buy my underwear and bras at Target. I just can't do it. I like the heaviness and quality of VS.

And if were to go out and spend "alot" of money, "high end" for me would be Express, Gap, etc.

Also, I refuse to spend alot of money on purses and shoes. My issue with spending alot of money on these is that you like to have alot, and change often. Also, they get alot of wear-and get dirty easily.

DiamondsandTulle said...

Hmmm.. great topic! I think I'm pretty much a higher-end type person on everything but everyday fun clothes. As you might know from my outfits - almost all regular stuff from places like Forever 21, H&M, Zara. But I WILL spend money on shoes, bags, jeans, jackets, and party dresses. I will spend a lot on good skincare, haircare, and make-up, due to my very sensitive skin. But I will always go for L'oreal mascara, NYC eyebrow powder, and Neutrogena sunscreen. And I love cheapie jewelry and hair stuff from Forever and H&M!

xx Vivian @ http://diamondsandtulle.blogspot.com

anna said...

hmmm...this made me think. i kind of go back and forth between good hairstuff and tresemme. and as for makeup, i usually skimp on the expensive mascaras but use the good stuff for everything else.

also, as far as clothes, i just like nice things all around. if i find a cheap version that doesn't look or feel too cheap i will go for it. otherwise, i wait for the pricey stuff to go no sale. or just splurge!