July 15, 2010

Accessory Organization

Inspired by ...love Maegan's recent post on how she organizes her accessories, I decided to do the same. Unfortunately mine didn't turn out nearly as interesting as hers. Oh well. I should note this is my accessories except for shoes and handbags, which each have their own (various) homes inside the master walk-in closet. Also, this is just costume jewelry. My nicer jewelry has a separate home!
Here we go:

This is the right side: scarves, belts, long necklaces, hats, sunglasses, wallets... and some random stuff.

Ok, random weird fact - when I get something new, I usually have to let it just kind of "hang out" in my closet for awhile until I find a more permanent home for it. That's the deal with the shoes. If I immediately put stuff up when I get it, I have been known to forget about it, so this works for me. The Missoni scarf is in the box because the scarf holder I have has been known to punch holes in my scarves if I'm not super careful. I don't care with my $20 scarves. I would care if I messed up the Missoni one! Kinda the same deal with the Chanel bag - its holding the box and a different carrying case for my sunglasses. You've seen the case I keep them in which is in my purse, but I like to keep boxes or whatever to store some of my nicer things in when I'm not using them. Again, maybe weird, but I try to take care of my stuff :)

Wallets, planner I don't use anymore, sunglasses, and some random stuff. 

Really, really small hat collection. Yes, my beach/pool hat is looking warped given the circumstances I wear it in. Oh well.

I have 2 of these holders. This one is solely for long or bulky necklaces. They're on the front and the back, so it probably looks a little jumbled in the picture. They're organized by color. I don't remember what these were advertised as, but they're great for necklaces/scarves/belts. As you can see, you can pull it out which makes it great for seeing everything. I'm big on seeing everything. 

The 2nd of the holders. The front holds my scarves. 

The back holds my belts. I don't love that I have to move the scarves to see the belts, but I don't have a ton of belts so it's not a huge deal. 

Over to the left side. This is how I keep my jewelry! 3 separate hanging organizers, hung next to my dresses. The bag next to the jewelry is a bridesmaids dress for a wedding that's in a few weeks if you were wondering what that is :) Anyway, this is what it looks like normally. Enough room that I can move them and get to everything. 

1st jewelry holder - front
All silver and gold earrings, except for the House of Harlow ones which are gold and black. Not really sure why those are there now that I think about it. Anyway this goes from studs, to hoops, then some bigger ones at the bottom.

1st jewelry holder - back
The rest of my earrings, organized by color. This one has gotten a little disorganized, I should re-do it. I have to do that every few months because of new stuff. All these holders have bigger pockets at the bottom, so even though I like to do things by color, I do keep bigger pieces on the bottom. Can you tell I like to organize? :)

2nd jewelry holder - front
Rings at the top, then cocktail rings, then it gets kind of random towards the bottom. A couple of vintage watches (nice way of saying they were my grandparents), and a few "sets", like matching necklaces and earrings or whatever. I don't like matching sets. I don't mind wearing them separately though. Pretty sure those were all gifts haha.

2nd jewelry holder - back
All of this is more vintage jewelry, almost exclusively my grandmothers. There are a few things in there that were my grandfathers. I LOVE all the brooches she had. One is missing because I attached it to my veil for our wedding, so it's still on that.

3rd jewelry holder - front
All my bracelets. Organized by color (of course), then going into all my different bangles, then cuffs towards the bottom.

3rd jewelry holder - back
All my necklaces that aren't hanging up. Towards the bottom there are a few multi-chain ones are well as a couple of bulkier ones at the very bottom.
Ok, so that's it! Not very interesting, but it works. Any questions, just ask! How do you organize your accessories? You should make a post because I'd love to see! :)

37 comments:

Josie said...

Oh my GOODNESS. I am so jealous of your organizational skills. My jewelery is in a jumble on my dressing table, my shoes are spread throughout the house (heels in my regular closet, flats in my shoe closet), and my scarves and belts go wherever I can fit them...
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Bren said...

My friend uses the hanging pouches for her earrings too! I've debated using them, just not sure how I would like it. Although my current system of dumping everything on top of my dresser isn't really working either.

hmmm....definitely need to organize though. In all of my spare time. :)

xoxo,
Bren @ Chasing Beauty

bravegrrl said...

i love organizing too :) i've been working on organizing my clothing/accessories for a while now ... will do a post when done :)

xo

Stace said...

oh incredibly envious that you have a chanel bag and missoni scarf!
great post, loved it :)

xStace

Krystal said...

wowwww you should come organize my wardrobe please!! :)

FashionJazz said...

I love organising stuff and you did a fab job hun! With us moving I am heavily organising stuff too : ) xxx

Elizabeth said...

I am in desperate need of jewelry organizers and those bags look great! Where did you find those?

Elle Sees said...

i recently did a jewelry makeover too.

Becca. said...

i am so jealous of your organization, i need some of those jewellery holder things!

thankyou for the comment on my blog :)
XOXO, BECCA
www.fashion-train.co.uk

Closet Fashionista said...

WOAH BABY you have a lot of earrings! Haha :D I love organizing :D
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com

Isabel said...

thats an impressive collection of jewelry! i just throw everything into a box unless it was expensive...

Audrey Allure said...

That's such a great idea of the hanging organizers to store jewelry! I just have a bunch in a box haha.

Abi-Anne said...

Whoa! Your closet is so nicely organized. I'm going to have to take some cues from you here and apply to my closet.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Do come by more often ;)

http://stylebouquet.blogspot.com/

Becky said...

Oh gosh you're SO organized! I'm so jealous! Great post ♥

Same Page Notion

Tayebug said...

Now, those jewelry holders I need! I think I would be so much more organized just with those!! I will have to get me some.

TeachingInHeels said...

Great organization!! I also love to organize :) I agree that it takes time to go back every few months to get all of the jewelry holders re-organized.

mrs. origami said...

I love those jewelry hanging organizers! Where did you get them?

I have a jewelry armoire I keep all of mine in, but with the move we just did, everything is in a box still. I would love to organize everything a different way.. Awesome :D

Naina said...

Love the pics of how your organize. My sister told me I need to do a post on this. Maybe someday! for now I will enjoy and appreciate your organization skills!

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime said...

Beautifully organized- love it! I am in the process of doing that in my new apt...

claire said...

Clap, clap, clap! You did a great job organizing! :)

Lucia said...

I can't organize my jewelry in my closet, it's too small :( aahh..I have a mess...Yours looks very organized!

enter my giveaway :)
hellolucie.blogspot.com

Valerie said...

Katie, I'm so impressed! This is exactly what I needed to inspire me to organize my own closet. Great job!

xo
Valerie

Couture Carrie said...

You are totally inspiring me to get organized, darling!
I especially love what you've done with your necklaces!

xoxox,
CC

GiveMeFashionNow said...

love your blog!

you should enter my giveaway!
return the favor & follow back? <3

givemefashionnow.blogspot.com

Style, She Wrote said...

Great post. I am in the process of organizing my closet -- you can see it on our blog -- and I never thought to use a jewelry holder in the closet. (I like a vintage jewelry box for all my stuff.) Great idea though!

Jammer said...

I need to get me some of those necklace holders!! They're perfect!

DiamondsandTulle said...

Really nice organization Katie!

xx Vivian @ http://diamondsandtulle.blogspot.com

maria said...

wow! very organized!!!

Miranda said...

Aren't those jewelry holders fabulous!? I love organizing.
http://washingtondcfashion.blogspot.com/

Taj Acosta said...

Can you come and organize all my jewelry? I need one of those hanging pocket thingy's!

Becca. said...

loving all the make-up!

thankyou for the comment on my blog :)
XOXO, BECCA
www.fashion-train.co.uk

A.Co said...

Nice!
Those jewellery holders are pretty handy dandy!!

Love how you hang the necklaces - that contraption is amazing! Where can I get one???

I organize my accessories like this

A.Co @ A.Co est. 1984

Fashion Meets Food said...

Oh my word! I am so jealous of the room you have! My apartment + the boy leave me no room to get insanely organized! Loved your organizational skills girl!

xo

...love Maegan said...

oh to have a walk-in closet!!! Well, I can walk in mine but then I can't move anywhere once in, lol. Love your jewelry organization! ...and thanks for the mention ;)

rebecca said...

You have so much jewellery! I only have a little, but I wear it a lot (:

http://itscohen.blogspot.com/

Dobbygirl said...

Great job! Don't feel weird, I do the same thing with boxes and bags, I also love organizing (especially closets)!!

heartbug said...

These already complete the entire design but having the right handbag for your personality should be enough to set an interesting and appealing totality.
replica handbags