August 26, 2010

What My Wedding Was Like...

Today is our 4th wedding anniversary! So to continue with the anniversary posts, today's is all about the big day. Ever tried to put an entire wedding into one post?! Even after asking for help I hardly know where to start. Let's just get started!
All the professional pictures are by Lisa Marie Photography

The Dress & the Accessories
The inspiration: Melissa Sweet - Sadie gown
The number one request was to see wedding pictures, which this post will be full of - no worries. The second biggest request was to see my wedding dress. It took me a very short amount of time to determine that I wanted to design and have my wedding dress custom made. The styles that were most popular in 2006 were just not me. 
Taking this picture, finding an excellent seamstress, picking out all the fabric and the beads, and having almost weekly fittings and meetings with the seamstress got me my custom wedding gown. Kind of an ordeal, but I was thrilled with it. 
So obviously I had some changes made, the biggest being that there was just some random beading on the inspiration gown, but my seamstress outlined the ENTIRE pattern of the lace in beads on the bodice of my gown. This alone took her nearly 6 weeks I believe. But it was STUNNING. She individually tied off EACH bead so if God forbid, a string pulled and broke only one bead would fall off, not hundreds (because there were hundreds AND HUNDREDS of beads...). I wish you could tell how gorgeous it turned out, my Mom and I literally showed this to everyone who came to the house. Forget the presents - come look at the beading on Katie's dress! I was asked if I could go back and wear a different dress would I? Not at all, I was thrilled with how my dress turned out!
My wedding shoes in - you guessed it - champagne. I changed into these for the reception though:
I also put beaded flip flops in the bridesmaids gift baskets at the luncheon so they could change into comfortable shoes at the reception, too. It's a long day. You should have something comfortable to change into! 

The brooch is vintage and belonged to my grandmother and I pinned it to my veil. The earrings were new, but matched perfect with the brooch. That and my weddings rings were all the jewelry I wore that day. I bought my veil because it had beading around the edge that was similar to the beading on my dress.
 You can see the beading on the veil in this picture.

The Fashion (aka - what everyone else wore)
This is a sample picture of the bridesmaids dress. I picked the same champagne color but went with a claret sash.
My favorite picture of Jared that day. The guys wore black tuxes with champagne vests and ties. Jared and my Dad had a red rose for their boutonniere and all the other guys had white roses. 

Me and my bridesmaids
Jared and his groomsmen

The wedding party

Our Moms had almost matching outfits (on accident). Isn't that weird?! I didn't care, I thought it was funny.

Here's the difference in the size of our families:
My family - uncle, aunt, sister, me, Jared, Mom, Dad
Jared's family - I'm not even going to try.

The Details
Our rings. My band has 5 round cut diamonds that line up under my engagement ring, and Jared's is a plain platinum band. We each have the others initials, our wedding date, then our own initials engraved in our wedding bands. 
My bouquet - mini calla lillies
Bridesmaids bouquets - roses, gerbera daisies, etc. I don't honestly remember, is that horrible? Stacey, one of the bridesmaids, was the florist as well and I pretty much just told her the colors and she picked it all out! I was there, but I just went with her suggestions. All the bouquets were tied with claret and champagne ribbon.
The programs were printed with claret ink, one of the wedding colors. Those wedding bells were made for decorations for my parent's wedding in 1977 (by my grandmother I'm almost certain) and have been used as Christmas ornaments at my parent's house ever since. 
The brides cake - I think my cake was french vanilla, then the filling alternated with each layer. It had raspberry filling every OTHER layer because Jared doesn't like raspberry. Not that this mattered much because besides the one bite we ate for the picture, we didn't get any cake. You don't really eat at your own wedding.
The grooms cake - Jared's cake was German chocolate because he's not a big sweets person so he didn't want something TOO chocolate-y. I found this annoying because I love my chocolate and thought he was being difficult. Again, this did not matter because it's not like we got to eat it! (I hear both cakes were delish.)

The Special Moments & Answering Some Questions
Seeing each other for the first time
Any drama or wedding snafus? 
Surprisingly, no. If there are any I blocked them out. I think I tried to get a little bridezilla'ish very early in the planning and my Mom told me to cut that out because this wasn't about me. Hey, she tells it like it is. So - I did. On the day of Jared forgot his tie, I think one of his brothers forgot his socks - there were little things like that but we had plenty of people to run around and handle any problems so there weren't any major issues.
Waiting for the ceremony to start.
Where did you go on your honeymoon? Any pictures? We went to Orange Beach, AL for 5 days right after the wedding. I have a surprising lack of honeymoon pictures! Here's one though:
I took all of 2 pictures of us on the honeymoon. Yep.
Jared totally made everyone cry during his vows. (Look - even my sister is wiping her eyes!) Not to worry though, I goofed up mine 5 seconds later and everyone started laughing. Typical me.
What do you love most about him? I think this kind of sums it up, don't you? :)
Right after the wedding. I didn't know she got this picture but I love it.
I was asked what my favorite memory from the wedding is. This is it. 
Looking at some childhood pictures
Dancing with my Dad - look how happy he is!
The cake pictures are always a little awkward but kind of funny too :)
We almost forgot to take this picture but remembered at the last minute.
One of my favorites. This is framed in the living room.
What's the one thing you love most about you in your married life? I love that he balances me out. If you find someone that can do that for you - well, you can't ask for much more in life.

Some people say their wedding is one of the most special and important days in your life, and I don't dispute that. But at the end of that very long and tiring day, it's the first day of many, many, many more days to come. It should be beautiful and magical and everything that you want it to be but I think it's important to keep in mind that it's a very small part of a hopefully very long life together.
It's the beginning.

39 comments:

Marcie said...

Love the dress and that cake!! Your eyes are so beautiful! I never notice them because in your profile picture you have sunnys on.

Your comment on my post is so right! I can't keep perspective ever when it comes to shopping.

xo M

Miss Caitlin S. said...

yes it's pretty much impossible to do a wedding post in one post. you look so beautiful oh my goodness, seriuosly Katie. i love how u said 'if there were any i blanked them out" that's great because it means you have the big picture as a memory. i love your moms' outfits and your dress and just wow, beautiful. happy 4 yr

Fashion Cappuccino said...

Happy Wedding Anniversary!! I love, love your pictures! You are stunning!! And that dress?! Gorgeous! xoxoxoxoxoo

Collette Osuna said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story and these awesome photos!!!

janettaylor said...

Happy Wedding Anniversary! Gorgeous pictures and beautiful dress!

Jessica said...

I'm swooning over here. Your dress is incredible. At first I thought it was lace, but when I read that it's all beaded, I gasped. There's such incredible workmanship your gown. And i just adore you wore that family brooch.

And you really kept it classy with the bridesmaid dresses.

style'n said...

wow look at that dress and the cake! love it all and a very Happy Anniversary to you! naina

cathy. said...

You look stunning! I love the photos of all the details :)
xx

Closet Fashionista said...

Wow what a gorgeous wedding! How cute that both moms matched!!! :D
Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!! :D
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Emilie said...

B E A U T I F U L !

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

I love what you said at the end and you are so, so right. Love all these pics lady!

Isabel said...

it looks like suh a beautiful and special day :)

Enter My 100 Followers Giveaway!

Fashion Meets Food said...

What an absolutely gorgeous wedding you had! I love your dress!!

xo

Dobbygirl said...

So pretty! I always love to see people's weddings. Happy times!!!

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime said...

What a beautiful wedding! I love your dress- you look stunning. :) Thanks for sharing this all w/ us!

Josie said...

Katie, you were an absolutely STUNNING bride! I'm in love with your color scheme -- I think champagne shades are so lovely for weddings -- and I love that you had your dress custom-made. What a beautiful, perfect day!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Valerie said...

Katie, you were a beautiful bride! Your eyes look amazing and that dress is stunning. I love these pictures, I can feel the love just by looking at them. Happy Anniversary!

xo
Valerie

Daniela said...

lovely post. You were a gorgeous bride!!

Jessie said...

So beautiful!

xx
Jessie
http://87life.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

Aww, happy anniversary! You looked absolutely gorgeous on you wedding day. I adore the dress. It's so pretty! :)

Couture Carrie said...

Happy Anniversary, darling!
Gorgeous dress and pics!

xoxox,
CC

Rachael said...

Your wedding looks so lovely!! Beautiful pictures!!

happy anniversary!

www.rachaeldiab.blogspot.com

marina said...

Love the dress and all the photos!!!

http://malibuananas.blogspot.com/


xx

Melissa said...

Happy anniversary! What gorgeous photos - they must bring back beautiful memories.

Prutha said...

congratulations!!! u look gorgeous in the pics..and its funny that the northers were dressed alike.hehe

My Republic of Fashion said...

You look so stunning! That dress is fabulous. Gorgeous cakes also! Yum, yum!! Happy Anniversary! :)SarahD

Maria at Bachman's Sparrow said...

You are beautiful :) What lovely pictures! I also had a custom-made dress (the only way I could afford a Chanel inspired look;) ) and loved it.

xoxo Maria

Anniversary Years said...

Love the dress! The colors! And all the details that make this a beautiful wedding. Happy 4th wedding anniversary!

Mimi said...

aww, happy 4th anniversary! you had a really beautiful wedding! many more happy years to you and your husband! :D

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

Orphaned Apparel said...

Wow, what a stunning post! Your wedding looks like perfection. Happy anniversary!

Grace said...

Gorgeous!!!! You look beautiful!

Love Grace.

Danielle Barbe said...

absolutely beautiful. you have exquisite taste! the black and white photos are classic.

Kristin said...

What an incredibly gorgeous affair from beginning to end. You looked stunning lady!

Elle Sees said...

so sweet!!!

Krystal said...

your dress is gorgeous!!! and you look SO beautiful, oh my goodness!

emily☆ said...

Awww beautiful! Your day looked amazing. I just love seeing wedding pictures, I can pretend I was there! lol. Creepy? Maybe. whatever, we all secretly want to go to weddings all the time!

Cathy Benavides said...

Your post brought a few tears to my eyes. Your wedding was beautiful (and looked like it was a great time!!) but I love that you said that the wedding is just the beginning of a great and long life together. Lots of love and happiness to you and your honey!!

Noble Beeyotch said...

One of the sweetest and cutest post ever! I love your exquisite wedding gown. You looked the part of a glowing bride! My favorite pic has to be the one of you guys kissing over the champagne glasses!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Bren said...

Katie,

I'm finally reading about your wedding!

You look SO beautiful and happy in these photos! I love the special moments that were captured by your photographer, especially the picture of you with your veil, the pic of Jared making everyone cry, and the one of the two of you immediately after the wedding. So sweet!

And I couldn't agree with you more, regarding the importance of the big day. I like that you called it the beginning, because that's how I think of it. Hopefully I'll get to experience it myself one day. :)

Thank you for sharing your wedding with us Katie. I hope you and Jared had an amazing Anniversary!

xoxo,
Bren @ Chasing Beauty