August 4, 2010

What's In My House... Guest Bedroom, Guest Bathroom, Office

Ok, so I figured we'd get back into the What's In My House... series. Today is kind of a mixed bag, as you can see by the post title. It's actually one area of the house, so it makes sense, it's just several things at once so this doesn't drag on forever. And they're small rooms. And now I'm rambling, so let's get on with it. 

...here we go!
This is to the left when you come in the front door.
Hallway with the guest bathroom, guest bedroom, office. and the laundry room is over there, too.
Picture holder - Pier 1
This is the one, sad bit of decorating I've done to the hallway. Well, there's a runner down, too. Pretty exciting, I know. (The flash is totally messing up a cute picture of us in Memphis! Gah.)
Runner - Target
Looking down the hallway into the guest bedroom.
View from the door. The guest bedroom has been the least used room everywhere we've lived, so I've never put a lot of effort into it. The bed is Jared's bed from before we got married, and no, he never had a headboard or footboard.  I bought all the bedding at Target when we got married and called it a day. Oh interesting note though - the lace throw pillow in front is made of extra material from my wedding dress. Me, my mom, Jared's mom, and my aunt all have one. I had my dress custom made and there was some material left over so that's what my Mom decided to do with it. No wedding dresses were cut or harmed for the making of the pillows :)
The chest of drawers and nightstand were mine when I was little. Before that they were my Mom's, and I think originally they belonged to my great-grandmother. I painted them white when I was in middle school then re-painted them cream when we got married. 
On top of the chest of drawers - random collection of books I like, a mask Jared bought for me when he was in Venice, a favorite picture of me and my sister with my maternal grandparents, and some lion figurines because I still have a random assortment of lions scattered around the house. Why lions? Some of you already know, but I was an Alpha Delta Pi in college. The lion is ADPi's mascot.
I think the shelves were Jared's shelves before we got married, but I don't really remember. I painted them, the chest, and the nightstand all the same color so they would look like they matched. Oh, there's random celestial accessories because that was the theme of my bedroom in high school so I acquired A LOT of it. The baseballs are because I'm married to a baseball fanatic. Those are all autographed and... umm idk, he loves them. I have no idea who has signed them. I think it annoys him that I used them as "decoration" but what was I supposed to do?! He also has a massive collection of baseball cards that aren't at our house because we can't properly store them yet. I'm not kidding. There are thousands. I'm a little scared. Oh yeah - Jared played baseball for like 13 or 14 years if that's not obvious lol.
The pictures above the shelves - me on the left (me playing the organ on top - yes, I'm really playing, me and my sister on the bottom), him on the right (one of my favorite pics of him on top - look at that blonde hair!, him with his dad and middle brother on the bottom), us in the middle on the beach back in 2006 when we were engaged.
Top of the shelves including my favorite picture of my paternal grandparents. I never knew my grandfather so I'm happy to have some pictures of him.
The closet, but I took this to show how this is yet another room with the high ceilings! I like them even though they're not much fun right now with the unbelievable heat.
Guest bathroom

Towels, mats and shower curtain - Ariana collection by Badgley Mischka at Bed Bath and Beyond
Painting - me at Sips and Strokes
This wasn't the direction I was planning on at all for this bathroom. I had found a shower curtain I loved from Pottery Barn and was going to use that as my jumping off point, then I realized in addition to coral on it, it has a subtle but noticeable seashell pattern on it as well. So, there went that idea. Then the Ariana collection by Badgley Mischka caught my eye so I went with that. I'd done this painting about a month before we put the contract on the house, so I used that and a colorful tray on the toilet lid to bring in plenty of colors to an otherwise pretty dark palette.
View into the office from the hallway. That's the laundry room on the right, but I didn't take any pictures of it. It has the washer and dryer in it. And a shelf with lots of cleaning products. And the iron and ironing board. And the vacuum. Now you know!
Looking into the office. I want a piano and won't be getting that until we finish the bonus room (the house has an upstairs, it's framed for a bonus room but it's not finished so right now it's just a nice attic which is why there are no pictures) so for now I have my keyboard that I had in college. I usually just go to my parent's house if I want to play though because a keyboard is NOT the same!
So this is the office/DVD storage/where the sports art and memorabilia goes to die live/room. This room is an embarrassment and it shames me a little, but this is what happens when you're trying to decorate an entire house. Or this is what happens if you're us. You have to do it in cycles, you can't just run out and buy a houseful of furniture at once. So - this room is at the top of the list to be redone. We would like to have a real desk, a nice chair, and probably a double set of good bookshelves for storage. Hopefully this is going to happen in the next few months, and then I'll happily update with pictures :)
A plus to this room - it has a walk-in closet, so I'm happy about that!

Well, this isn't very impressive, but I said I'd show my house so here there you go. Any questions, just ask! I'll be finishing up tomorrow with the master bedroom and bathroom!

53 comments:

Josie said...

Katie, your house is just GORGEOUS. I love that pretty white dresser!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Mimi said...

your house is soooo beautiful! and i've read some of the books you have. :D

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

Miss Caitlin S. said...

very cool!!! I love how you blend modern home decor with pieces of you everywhere. What a beautiful home, seriously! love the grandparents pic :) I love having those around. I was an Alpha Phi :0

gleenn said...

that's a very lovely house. I enjoyed getting a peek of it. I love the interior. :)

Krystal said...

it's so pretty! i need to see an outside pic now :)

kirstyb said...

ooooh thanks for sharing love the bedroom xxxx

Sofie said...

This is a really cool idea, it's like a 'What's in my purse'!
Really neat, pretty and lovely decorated house. Looks so organised!

jemina said...

Oh, I LOVE it!!!!! your house is so cozy!!! LOVE this post!!! xoxo

this free bird said...

I think about your house every day now. It's painted the most amazing calm color, it screams 'i am new!', it speaks serenity with its clean lines and it's fabulous moldings, it's got amazing high ceilings with built in speakers - I really want order and calm in my home. BADLY

Enough about me - back to you. I love the lace pillow story. That's awesome!! And girl, what I wouldn't do for a modern bathroom.

I'll put that guest room to good use. Only you might not get rid of me! uh-oh

xoxo,
carrie

Vicky Klbr said...

your place look great. love that white cupboard!!

thanks for your comment, (and sorry for my late reply)

cathy. said...

There's so much in this post I'd love to comment about, but then I'd be here until Christmas. I love the cream dresser and night stand and the picture holder.
xx

ori said...

so love the painting you did. great place. and thats great all the painting shelves and other sweet little things you've done too.

Fashion Meets Food said...

Your house is absolutely gorgeous! Fabulous job decorating! I love your vase with the three flowers in it!

xo

Leia said...

You have a lovely home! Is it really weird for me to say that I really like the bathroom? hehe

Leia

nick and heath said...

I do envy that walk in closet. Lots of nifty things you've done to the place. Sweet.

Closet Fashionista said...

What are you talking about, the guest room is so cute! :D Just what it should be, simple but with fun touches :D
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Couture Carrie said...

You have such a lovely, well-appointed home, darling!

xoxox,
CC

style'n said...

thanks for sharing. love that shower curtain!
naina

Audrey Allure said...

Your house is beautiful & so organized! Haha, love the shower curtain :)

daisymay aka Chantele said...

Love the silver grey towels in the bathroom, their really nice, very chic! I would love ones like that when we finally have our own home! Daisy Dayz Home

Christie said...

Your place is beautiful! Love it!

www.infashionandstyle.com

Daniela said...

great idea painting the furniture cream - gave me an idea about the furniture in my house.. !

Miranda said...

That wall color is great!
http://washingtondcfashion.blogspot.com/

OneCraftyFox said...

Gorgeous home, I love all your photos!!

Camila F. said...

You have a lovely home! Love the pictures on the walls!

Gets said...

Gosh your house looks huge! :D Its like I can get lost in it haha. Loving what you did with the decorations, really impressive!! (:

Love,
Gets

http://wastedseventeen.blogspot.com

Marie said...

Such a cozy home!:D Thanks for letting us in!:D

http://allthingsmarie.blogspot.com/
Beauty. Fashion. Interior Design.
& Life According to Marie.

Tayebug said...

I love this feature that you are doing and that bathroom is gorgeous!

Oana Alexandra Stroici said...

nice house

http://thebrunettecocktail.blogspot.com

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime said...

Loving all the pictures and that you use fun/different frames :)

FASHION DOOHICKEy said...

lovely home, i wish i could keep my place as tidy as yours. LOL.. :)

luckydame said...

Such a lovely home and you have a great eye for design!

Valerie said...

You really do have an amazing house, katie! That photo collage is adorable. What a creative idea.

xo
Valerie

My Lack of Style said...

I like what I see, very nice house!

Abi said...

Great rooms. That's a lovely nighstand and lamp

My Republic of Fashion said...

Really nice house. I love the decor. You are so clean and organised, I can only dream to be like that!!haha SarahD:)

Ying said...

LOOOOOOVE!

Fashion Cappuccino said...

The more I look at your house pictures, the more I want to move in! The bathroom is my favorite! xoxoxoxoo

Ashley said...

I love all of your picture frames, especially that picture holder in the hallway! Too cute! :)

-Ashley
http://breakfastatsaks.blogspot.com

MarchMusings said...

Thanks for a peek into your house. I love the way you done up the rooms. Very nice!

Jammer said...

Your house is beautiful! I want a blue lamp now hhaha

http://jammer10am.blogspot.com/

Jessie said...

Omg your house is amazing!! I either want to come stay or have you totaly decorate my house :) hahaha

Giveaway on my blog, check it out :)
xx
Jessie
http://87life.blogspot.com

Jonesy said...

Nice house! I love the bathroom, wish mine looked like that, hehehe

www.the-blisslist.com

Leslee said...

WOW! Beautiful home.

emily said...

again, love the simplicity! your bathroom is beautiful. and i have the 'imagine' thing too!

Stacey said...

Your house is lovely and filled with touches of who you are. I like that.

Carmen said...

what a nice house, my dar :)

xx

www.mydailyfashiondosis.blogspot.com

Bren said...

Love seeing pics of your house Katie! It's so nice and new, and looks really comfortable. Now that I've seen your office, I can picture you sitting at your desk, blogging away. :) Your house has such nice storage! What I wouldn't do for a walk-in closet! I'm busting at the seams right now! Although it would probably help if I got rid of some stuff, but that would require time to go through my closets. And that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Loved hearing what you did with the extra lace from your wedding dress. What a sweet little keepsake!

xoxo,
Bren @ Chasing Beauty

Bren said...

Oh, and I hope you get your piano soon! My brother plays too, and practices on a keyboard but says it's just not the same. He's so adamant about it that he only plays on a real piano with his band. He's become an expert at loading an upright into the back of his truck, by himself! He's dedicated to his instrument. :)

xoxo,
Bren @ Chasing Beauty

Vera said...

i love the I M A G I N E deco:)

http://fashionispassion-vera.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Найти лучшее: nlite 1.4.8 скачать

Anonymous said...

[URL=http://datelatte.com]dating[/URL] dating, superdudeguest, http://datelatte.com I decent develop this wonderful site. I wish go through some time here for sure. There's a fortune of extraordinary topics to presume from, and I'm looking flippant to it.

Anonymous said...

.