March 24, 2011

L'Oreal Mascaras

Ok, most of you probably know, but several of us started the 30 Day Shred this week. Carrie's blog has a list of everyone who is doing it so far. Nothing formal about it, just join in, follow along on our blogs, and on TwitterTwitter seems to be where most of the daily conversation is, so join in! I need more people to whine to. I mean for encouragement. (I mean to whine to.)
Moving on.
L'Oreal is one of the best drug store brands and I especially like their mascara. I've tried a few of them and figured I'd do a quick review:


Voluminous
"Voluminous Original Volume Building Mascara is uniquely formulated to build lashes to 5x their natural thickness, for a full and dramatic lash look. The Volume Maximizing Brush thickens lashes evenly and smoothly, leaving them soft with virtually no flakes, smudges, or clumps."

  • Ophthamologist-tested and allergy-tested
  • Suitable for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers
  • Clump-resistant
  • Fragrance-free
This has been one of my drugstore staples for years. It is a great volume building mascara and it doesn't clump. In recent years a lot of brands have gone away from the tradition mascara wand to the rubbery, nylon bristles which helps to separate lashes even more. L'Oreal caught on to this and that seems to be the main difference with the new Million Lashes mascara, which is next on my list to try. I'm anxious to see if they improved on an already great mascara. 


Telescopic
"Telescopic Original Mascara enhances your lashes with intense length and unique lash by lash separation. The flat side of the patented flexible Precision Brush lengthens lashes up to 60%, while the comb side of the brush precisely separates lashes for a clump-free result."
  • Ophthamologist-tested and allergy-tested
  • Removes easily with soap and water
  • Suitable for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers
  • Fragrance free
The best lengthening mascara I've found in the drugstore so far. I was very surprised the first time I used this as I hadn't seen a ton of reviews on it, but I love it and have bought it repeatedly. Amazing if you pair it with a volumizing mascara.

Telescopic Explosion
"Want lush out-to-there lashes? Telescopic Explosion Mascara reaches 100% of lashes from every angle for a dramatic, fanned out effect. The unique spherical brush lengthens, separates, and adds volume to even tiny corner and lower lashes, transforming your look from everyday to explosive with a few sweeps. The smooth formula wears all day without smudging or flaking."

This was clearly supposed to replicate what Givenchy was going for with Phenomen'Eyes. Nothing about this impresses me. It doesn't do what it claims and you can find something better. It's a skip.

Something else I always like about L'Oreal mascaras - in addition to your usual Black, and Blackest Black colors, L'Oreal has Carbon Black for all their mascaras. I usually pick that because it seems to give a slightly glossier look, something I like in mascaras. Overall, L'Oreal has the best range and selection of drugstore mascaras, in my opinion. 
Do you use any of them?

36 comments:

Torrie said...

Thank you for posting this. I'm almost out of mascara, and although I've heard great things about L'Oreal, I've never tried. I think I'll get the first two, so I have the option to mix.

A total goal for me... to find great drugstore make-up products so I'm not spending a fortune.

Carrie said...

OMG! L'oreal Voluminous Mascara is my favorite! My mom had it and i took from her. I have been using it ever since! Which reminds me, i have to go get a new one. :]

Carrie
http://readmylifeascarrie.blogspot.com/

Miss Caitlin S. said...

yup, on months when I cheap on mascara I always get the Loreal one, it's SO good for the price, so good

Kavery said...

Never tried any of theirs though I've seen the range. But I will buy a L'Oreal mascara next time. I thought I was a follower -turns out I wasn't. I am now!

Wynne Prasetyo said...

i don't use mascara as often but this definitely is worth a try! thanks for the review

Collette Osuna said...

I just bought the first one you showed...so far so good:)

Stop by and say Hello:)
Statements in Fashion Blog♥

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

I definitely want to try Telescopic - thanks for the review!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Julie and Lauren said...

That's so funny- my roommate and I bought that first mascara this weekend! I've been using it and it definitely makes my eyelashes fuller.
Xox

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime said...

i need to read more about this Shred thing...

I like Maybelline's Definalash (I think that's what it is called? haha), but splurge with Dior Show :)

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

I got a sample pack from Sephora a while back but gave up half way through my reviews. The one I kept going back to (for day use) was Laura Mercier...probably because I use most her stuff. Can't remember which one I liked for night...I need to figure that out!

Miranda said...

Voluminous has been my go-to since I started wearing makeup. No matter what I try nothing compares to it. I think it's better than pricey designer brands too!

~Miranda
www.indcfashion.com

Lindsay With An "A" said...

I agree! I love MAC's mascara, but this one is amazing too. Good luck on the 30 Day Shred!

Courtney Erin said...

I'm a huge fan of Almay mascara - more than any other brand I think! And hang in there with the Shred -- I'm almost at the end of my 30 days so there is totally light at the end of the tunnel.

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

GRIT AND GLAMOUR said...

L'oreal Voluminous in black with the curved brush...couldn't live without it! My fave. I've been using it forever, and nothing compares, I don't care how expensive it is.

Closet Fashionista said...

Great reviews! i actually liked the telescopic, but the wand was a little flimsy, haha. I can't remember what brand I'm using right now XD (shame on me) I've been using a Chanel sample I got...haha
http://www.closet-fashionista.com

Making life more beautiful said...

Industry secret lol! I used to use volumious on most of my models :) And so did lots of industry make up artists :) xxx

Punctuation Mark said...

i don't but i love the one i use from clinique... it washes away but it also is waterproof... love it!

Josie said...

Covergirl makes a waterproof mascara that's usually my go-to, but the Telescopic one sounds amazing!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Steffys Pros and Cons said...

i love L'oreal!


<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

bravegrrl said...

i haven't used any of them... but i might try.... i've just started using mascara and i'm looking for a really good one.... maybe you can do another review on your favorite mascaras in general (other brands as well) :)

this free bird said...

I don't wear much makeup but Voluminous is at the top of my list when I do. If Jillian stops by I might hit her with it. Can't.get.out.of.chair.

xo,
C

Isabel said...

i just got a new mascara recently. i never use the same one twice. i always try out something new. this one is maybellines great lash...the one with the pink and green tube. i like it but the damn mascaara wont come off and i end up waking up with it all over my pillow and under my eyes. grr.

Jennifer Fabulous said...

Lovely reviews! I have been looking for a good volumizing mascara and this post helps a ton! xoxo

Kayla said...

I love L'Oreal mascara. I rarely buy top brand mascaras because I love it so much. I'm currently using the One by One mascara and obsessed with it, though it does have a strange scent.

Ramblings of a Small Town Girl
Fanciful Brainstorm - Tumblr

Valerie said...

I'm not sure if I've ever tried L'Oreal mascara, but I heard it's the same company as Lancome and I LOVE their mascara. So I'm going to try these!

Couture Carrie said...

Fab reviews, darling!

xoxox,
CC

sacramento said...

You really do a good job here katie.
I love Lóreal. Most of my product are lóreal and Clinique.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Styles 'n Cream said...

I love L'Oreal mascaras too. L'Oreal is one of my favorite drugstore brands.

Some of my other favorite mascaras are Lancome, Dior Blackout Show and YSL Volume Mascara

Taj Acosta said...

I concur, voluminous is the best!! xo

la petite coquine said...

I'm a huge L'Oreal fan-Voluminous for special occasions or performances, and True Match Naturale Mascara for day to day-I hate thickening mascaras, so the natural mascara gives me a little length without the gunk!

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Loved this post!!! You know I used to work at L'Oreal in product development. Mascara development is tough...trust me, your eyes hurt and lashes start to fall out from testing so many different ones! LOL. But L'Oreal as a corporation {Maybelline, Lancome, etc} really has the best formulas :)

Stacey said...

I've tried the Voluminous and love it. I'll have to sample the other 2 you mentioned. Great post!

shealennon said...

I seem to hop from one mascara to the next, because I can't ever find one that's quite right. I'm going to have to give the Telescopic kind a try!

Ellie said...

I've been searching for great mascara for so long now! Thank you so much for this review its at the perfect time! I don't personally use any of these, but I will soon!
Have a great day!
-Ellie

Steph McG said...

This was a very timely post for me as I have a L'Oreal coupon and had wanted to try one of their mascaras. Thanks Katie!

Fashion Therapist said...

I had no idea that you guys were doing the 30 day shred. Good for you guys! Can't wait to get updates from you guys.