Well, my closet is never going to look like that, but it's good to dream. Anyway. You might remember my Closet Clean Out post from earlier in the year. Although we have plenty of space, I realized that my clothes, accessories, etc., weren't organized in a way that was functional to me. It's a work in progress, but I figured I'd update on what I've done.
- Nail polish - I've posted before how my nail polish is organized. This hasn't changed, but in the cleaning out I did clean out quite a few nail polishes to get my collection down to a more manageable size and to be able to keep everything in the nail polish drawer.
- Jewelry organization - I got my jewelry armoire for my birthday, so all jewelry and accessories got cleaned out, organized, and put in the new armoire. I'll do a post on this soon.
- Makeup - I have my vanity, which I'm happy with, so I just cleaned out to pare down my collection, make sure there was room for everything, etc.
- Purses - I went through all my clutches, wristlets, and bags. There was so many that just weren't getting used or that I realized I didn't like anymore. I sold a few on eBay, sold some to the local consignment store, then gave away the rest.
- Shoes - This is a category I've done good with. I actually wear most of my shoes so there weren't many I wanted to get rid of. The few pairs that didn't make the cut went to the consignment store.
- For the rest of my clothes - it was a process. I usually just did one drawer or category of clothes a day so I could really take the time to go through piece by piece and see if I wore it, if I liked it, and if I wanted it. Then I determined to consign it, sell it, or give it away. It took a long time but I think taking your time with this is the way to go. Otherwise you'll get frustrated and quit or frustrated and give away half your closet. Neither is a good option.
So that's where it stands. I've gone through everything, cleaned it out, and figured out what to do with it. Nail polish, makeup, and jewelry are either re-organized or in a new home. As far as the closet, the next step is to figure out what kind of system would work the best for both of us. So, that's what's next!