April 14, 2011

Closet Clean Out Progress

weheartit


Well, my closet is never going to look like that, but it's good to dream. Anyway. You might remember my Closet Clean Out post from earlier in the year. Although we have plenty of space, I realized that my clothes, accessories, etc., weren't organized in a way that was functional to me. It's a work in progress, but I figured I'd update on what I've done.


  • Nail polish - I've posted before how my nail polish is organized. This hasn't changed, but in the cleaning out I did clean out quite a few nail polishes to get my collection down to a more manageable size and to be able to keep everything in the nail polish drawer. 
  • Jewelry organization - I got my jewelry armoire for my birthday, so all jewelry and accessories got cleaned out, organized, and put in the new armoire. I'll do a post on this soon.
  • Makeup - I have my vanity, which I'm happy with, so I just cleaned out to pare down my collection, make sure there was room for everything, etc. 
  • Purses - I went through all my clutches, wristlets, and bags. There was so many that just weren't getting used or that I realized I didn't like anymore. I sold a few on eBay, sold some to the local consignment store, then gave away the rest. 
  • Shoes - This is a category I've done good with. I actually wear most of my shoes so there weren't many I wanted to get rid of. The few pairs that didn't make the cut went to the consignment store.
  • For the rest of my clothes - it was a process. I usually just did one drawer or category of clothes a day so I could really take the time to go through piece by piece and see if I wore it, if I liked it, and if I wanted it. Then I determined to consign it, sell it, or give it away. It took a long time but I think taking your time with this is the way to go. Otherwise you'll get frustrated and quit or frustrated and give away half your closet. Neither is a good option.

So that's where it stands. I've gone through everything, cleaned it out, and figured out what to do with it. Nail polish, makeup, and jewelry are either re-organized or in a new home. As far as the closet, the next step is to figure out what kind of system would work the best for both of us. So, that's what's next! 

27 comments:

Carrie said...

Glad yoy finished! i would love to have my closet look like that. :D

Carrie
http://readmylifeascarrie.blogspot.com/

Miss Caitlin S. said...

very cool!!! Sounds like you are a lady with a plan! I struggle with the closet clean out myself so I always love hearing about others'!

this free bird said...

plz feel free to peel by my place. i'm still trying to wade into the kitchen and just this evening wept over the loss of my downstairs closet. i need therapy.

Josie said...

If you want to drop by my dorm room to help me out... I mean, feel free to do so.
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

the nyanzi report said...

Yes one can always dream. What a fantastic closet in the picture.

BeautyH2T said...

I am so sorry I have been terrible at commenting- HI lOVELY! been reading away as always though. I so wish that closet above was mine, I really could use a clear out- well done you! and love the new nail polish organisation :) xxx

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

Congrats! I am in desperate need of a jewelry box/armoire. Luckily when we moved across the world, I didn't bring much. But I dumped so much stuff at my parent's place that needs to go to charity!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

..R May A.. said...

I'd die if i had that closet :)
I've been sorting mine out recently in preparation for summer!! x

Anja said...

Spring cleaning is such a necessity for me. I don't have enough space for winter and summer clothes in my too tiny closet, therefore before changing the clothes for the other season (not all of them, but like coats and stuff), I do something similar! Great way to readjust your wardrobe to your needs! Never easy with my shoes though, got too many and can't pair with older (run down) ones. Looking forward to that post about your jewelry

Closet Fashionista said...

Woohoo! I sorta cleaned my closet this past weekend but I should probably do it again...haha
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

Cleaning and organizing closets is my dream job. I love taking everything out and putting it back in order. Odd, I know.

GRIT AND GLAMOUR said...

Feels good, doesn't it? I went through the shelves in my closet the other day and totally reorganized. Got rid of a lot of stuff that's just been hangin' around. I love when everything is perfectly folded. I wish I had someone to keep it tidy for me!

Courtney Erin said...

I recently did a HUGE closet, makeup and jewelry purge when I found out we were going to move - there's something so cathartic about it!

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

Megan said...

are you up for hire? i could REALLY use your services right now with my stuff...

kelli g. { bug miscellany } said...

whoa! good for you!

i'm still in the "kinda started, some stuff accomplished, still be moaning the current state of shambles" phase.

have any organizational tips to share? : )

Collette Osuna said...

Good for you for the big cleanup!!! I always feel great after Ive done something like that:)
Id LOVE a closet like that, bigtime!

Etrapar said...

nice...I have to do the same...somewere next week...
but how come you didn´t had a giveaway on your blog with something nice of yours that could be a great present for one of your followers ??? maybe next time ^.*
kisses, Etrapar

Torrie said...

Nothing (okay, well maybe some things) feels better than a clean and organized closet. I look forward to that jewelry post... I need help in this area!

Justine said...

I kept getting tricked by all these closet photos! I wish I had these amazing closets, but I think this one might be too big, maybe not, but I really like the previous one. Ah. I can only imagine.

Just Better Together

Christie said...

How much would you like the closet that's in that picture?

Good for you for purging your closet - more women need to do it!

In Fashion and Style

Ashleigh said...

Wow - you are my idol at this moment!! We're getting ready for the big winter to summer clothing swap - what a project... it's a great time to purge but it takes FOREVER!

la petite coquine said...

You've made a ton of progress-I'm impressed! Having limited closet space has forced me to be smart about what's in there, but it doesn't make it any easier!

meghan said...

I'll take that closet! I can't wait for all of the great posts you're going to have coming up. I'm trying to figure out a way to organize my plethora of jewelry.

shealennon said...

I could learn a lot from you! I desperately need to clean out my makeup and nail polishes! As for clothes, I'm trying to get rid of things I don't wear, but I have such a hard time getting rid of stuff!!

Taj Acosta said...

Good job! I tried doing this with my shoes and it was pretty pathetic, I'm completely out if space for shoes! I'm in a bind girl...!

janettaylor said...

Sounds great job! :)

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Monique said...

I would be in heaven if that was my closet!

Monique xx

misszuman.blogspot.com