May 4, 2011

We Are Alabama

I'm sure you've all heard by now, but last week multiple tornadoes passed through Alabama, as well as other states. Many cities were hit but one of the most devastated right now is Tuscaloosa. I can't even begin to describe how big a part of my life Tuscaloosa has been. I graduated from the University of Alabama (Roll Tide), my father is from there, I lived there for 4 years - I will always be connected to Tuscaloosa and it will always be a part of me. My heart completely breaks for the loss of life, devastation and destruction that has occurred. There are countless YouTube videos and pictures of the storm if you don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm not posting anything like that.*
There's so much that will need to be done in the weeks and months to come, but anyone can donate to the Red Cross no matter where you are. To donate, visit the Red Cross website or text "REDCROSS" to 90999 to give $10. The WeAreAlabama website has tons of information and links. Amanda over at Hush, Amanda has tons of up to date needs and info over on her blog. We can all be doing something right now. If you have more links and info, please leave them in a comment or Tweet them to me.
I wish I could come up with something in the blogosphere that we could all participate in, and I'd like to, so if you have any ideas leave them in the comments. But for now, please just remember what people are going through here, and be thankful for everything that you have. If you happen to Tweet anything pertaining to the tornadoes, use the tag #WeAreAlabama. This has been a devastating week for my state and many other states but I know that we'll come out of it ok. 


*I understand that there's been a lot of news coverage due to the severity of the storms, and I certainly want everyone to be aware of how bad the situation is right now. However, I've heard multiple times now from family that lives in Tuscaloosa and friends that live and work in the area that it's becoming almost like a tourist attraction with people coming to Tuscaloosa just to see the damage and take pictures of it- not to offer help. Because of that, I'm not posting any pictures or video at this time. It feels disrespectful - again to me - at this time. 

16 comments:

Josie said...

Katie, I'm so sorry -- this is absolutely devastating. Please know that I'm thinking about you and your fellow Alabamans and am sending you lots of love.
xo Josie

Miss Caitlin S. said...

Hey Katie, I'm actually handling a lot of damages through my job so I have been on the phone with Tuscaloosa residents a lot lately and they've been describing the damages- horrible. Though those who are safe and sound seem to be so grateful and in high spirits, it has really touched me. Great post, gotta always help support your roots. Sorry about the tourists, I'm sure they don't mean any harm but when you think about it, it is pretty disrespectful.

this free bird said...

oh katie i'm so sorry about this. i lived through a mile long twister in my teens, but the devastation it left behind was felt for years and years afterward. i feel so badly for everyone in the south, and am so glad you're shedding one on one light on what's going on.

tonight i was reading mo-pie please and she mentioned shelter for the south:

http://www.shelterforthesouth.com/

wanted to be sure to let you know about it too - if you haven't heard already.

thinking of you,
carrie - xo

BeautyH2T said...

Thinking of everyone katie- thoughts with Tuscaloosa and everyone there

Bxx

Closet Fashionista said...

Yea....it is just so horrible...mother nature is really turning on us these days. I really hope that everyone donates to help them recover as quick as possible, but I know it will still take a while
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Courtney Erin said...

A close friend of mine here hails from Alabama and, thankfully, her family weren't injured but several of her friends back home have been affected - it's just awful.


xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

That is terrible and thank you for reminding us to help in whatever way we can.

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Jess said...

My heart goes out to all the families that this storm has affected. A tornado actually went through my parents neighborhood this year (on new years eve too!) I never ever thought anything like this could happen to me or my family. My parents are still fixing the damage that was done to their house...

kelli g. { bug miscellany } said...

It's so devestating - especially for those areas not used to this kind of storm.
Thanks for reminding us what is really important in the news this week.
<3

Torrie said...

I'm so sorry for you and for the families that have been affected. I appreciate you sharing how we can help. I'm trying to think of other ideas, but I'm at a loss. If I do think of an idea, I will definitely let you know.

la petite coquine said...

John's family is spread all over the South, and I was absolutely glued to news reports for mentions of their small towns. While I'm grateful that they're all safe, I'm heartbroken.

bachman's sparrow said...

Thanks for keeping this disaster at the forefront of our minds Katie - I can't believe the destruction that happened :( My prayers go out to everyone in the area

xoxo Maria

Heather said...

I'm very sorry for what you and other people in the area have had to go through. My prayers are with you.

Sarah said...

A few customers at my store are torn up waiting to hear how bad it was for family members. While I can't pretend to understand, my heart goes out to you and all those affected. <3

Lee Oliveira said...

Katie, I am so sorry to hear such a terrible thing.
I can only imagine what are you going through this moment.
My thoughts goes to you and you lovely family.
Stay strong
lee x

Kavery said...

Natural disasters are hitting so many places now but to see it as a tourist attraction is horrible. Glad you did this post