July 12, 2011

Summer Makeup

Wearing makeup in the summer is pretty pointless if it just melts right off. Lucky for you I've tried enough products that I have a good idea of what works when it's a million degrees outside. 

Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer
Some people think tinted moisturizer is pointless, but it really depends what you want. Tinted moisturizer gives you a light, sheer coverage, stays put, and has SPF - so I basically love it this time of year. Laura Mercier is my favorite. It may seem pricey but considering the size and how much you need, it's a good value and will last a long time.

Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge
Like I've mentioned, cream blush is my go-to during the summer. I did a how-to post on applying it if you have any questions. Easy to apply (once you know how) and looks gorgeous, especially this time of year.

A lot of people would recommend waterproof mascara during the summer and that would definitely work, but I hate it. (Removing it is a pain.) Wear your normal mascara and just skip the bottom lashes. No smudging and you don't have to buy a new mascara. 

Fresh Sugar Honey Tinted Lip Treatment
A Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment + nude tinted + SPF = my new favorite. (I put the EOS lip balm with SPF in my beach bag though. It's $3 and this is... more than $3 so if I'm going to lose one to the sun, it's going to be EOS and not Fresh.)

Boscia Blotting Linens
Blotting papers are perfect for the middle of the day when you start to notice a little shininess. Any brand will do (since they're all virtually the same), but Boscia ones have $100 sheets in a pack and Sephora sometimes sells them for $5. Hard to beat.


So there you go, a few tips, tricks and products for the summer. What are your summer makeup must haves?

15 comments:

Fabienne Jach said...

I just recently discovered primer for eyeshadow, it's been helping keeping it on all day. I love those Boscia blotting linens, just got some at Sephora, too. Mostly, I try to keep the make-up light, it's likely to end up melting or getting blotted off!
:) f
The House in the Clouds

Krystal said...

blotting papers are my savior, for real.

Megan said...

makeup melts off in summer? not where i currently live ;-)

but i totally understand what you mean about losing lipbalms in the sun...actually i have the fresh sugar one a while back and i destroyed it by sitting it in the sun. now i only take the cheapos outside with me!!!

this free bird said...

Okay a. I was just in Sephora tonight and lost my shirt (not like the bachelorette, but figuratively)--however I might need to go back and get the Laura Mercier.

b. That nude Fresh lip stuff looks like the kiss of death on me. So devastated.

xo,
C

janettaylor said...

I love Bobbi Brown!

Jamie said...

I have been thinking about trying blotting papers, especially for my upcoming trip to Boston where it will surely be 100% humidity. My skin always gets super shiny and it's so annoying!! I will definitely run out and grab these!

http://www.glamlatte.com

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

I love the LM tinted moisturizer. Love. I've been wondering about the sugar lip stuff. I might need to try it.

Courtney Erin said...

I use a primer and some powder and then blotting sheets for touch ups - nothing too heavy!

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

la petite coquine said...

Your summer make up must haves are just like mine, although I think I probably wear my "summer makeup" year 'round-whoops! Tinted moisturizer, cream blush, tinted balms and a little mascara on the top lashes is my go to look!

Josie said...

I LOVE cream blush for summer! It looks so pretty and dewy.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Mimi said...

i really want to get a tinted moisturizer. :D

p.s. come and join my Perricone giveaway! :)

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

Transfer Hacks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

You're right- water-proof mascara is a pain in the rear. I never do my bottom lashes, so I've never had the smudging issue, but I decided on clear mascara for the summer. No accidents that way!

--Sorry for the deleted comments. I kept commenting from my college advice blog's account!

Torrie said...

I'm just about to run out of my 'blotters' (like that name??)... The ones I'm using are from Target, since I ran out of the Mac ones and needed new ones. I wasn't sure which to buy next... Now I know. Thanks!