September 15, 2011

High vs. Low: Dry Shampoo

Tigi Rockaholic Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo $18.95
Awhile back I posted about loving Tigi Rockaholic Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo. It does everything it says it will - absorbs oil, adds volume, and gives you a day where you don't have to wash your hair. The only thing I don't love about it is the price. 
Tressemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo $5.49
Given the huge price difference (and obvious similarities in branding), I was eager to try Tressemme's version. I haven't been impressed with it at all though. I've had trouble with the nozzle clogging, which both brands admit can be a problem and is easily fixed (just remove it and run it under hot water), but I've never had that happen with multiple cans of Rockaholic. That said, if it was the only issue I'd overlook it since it can happen with both. It just doesn't work for me, though. I don't get any result from it and my hair just looks like I should wash it, completely ruining the point of using dry shampoo.

I wish it worked better for me since obviously it would be a great find. I won't repurchase though because even if it's only a few dollars, it's a few dollars wasted if it's not doing what it's supposed to. Tigi goes on sale at Ulta, and if you combine that with the frequent $3.50 off coupons Ulta loves to give out, it's not a bad deal - especially for a product that actually does what it claims!

20 comments:

Radiant Make Up said...

I've wanted to try the tressemme one for a while but I've heard you have to blowdry it otherwise it's sticky which, I can't help but this kinda defeats the point as dry shampoo for me is meant to be super quicky..
definately going to try the rockaholic one though!! x

this free bird said...

As long as I don't have to pick it up at Target I'm in.

xo,
C

Courtney Erin said...

I tried the Tresemme stuff too and really didn't care for it (I wound up using it to put white streaks in my hair for a Halloween costume) but for budget brands I really Batiste - love that stuff!

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.com

Closet Fashionista said...

Yea, I got the Tressmeme one for free, used it twice and threw it away because it didn't work :/
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Judy C said...

Tressemme left my hair looking and feeling exactly as it was before I used it. Oily. I use hair spray with better results.

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime said...

my friend swears by PSSST which is very cheap and found at drugstores. I use Oscar Blandi and really like it.

Tulips & Tulle said...

My favoutite is NAK dry shampoo (as seen on my blog here), it's fantastic! Costs about $12.

Holly said...

I completely agree!! I have wanted to love the tresseme, so I have given it multiple tries, but it is a seriously lacking product. Another fabulous dry shampoo, that I believe is a little cheaper than your fave, is the KMS hair play. Awesome. I'm actually getting ready to use a little right now!! Loved the post :)

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Oh I never tried either of these. Bumble yes and Oscar Blandi. But I guess I should try the rockaholic one :)

amy b.s. said...

i totally use a dry shampoo i buy at walgreens for like $3.99. i swear it works better for me than the more expensive ones!

Josie said...

Bummer about the price, but I'm glad that the Tigi product works so well!
xo Josie
www.winksimlestyle.com

la petite coquine said...

Sometimes paying a little extra is worth it-I've never been able to use another dry shampoo after Oscar Blandi-it just works so well!

Taj Acosta said...

Ditto on the Oscar Blandi, but I had been curious about the Tresemme so I'm glad to know your thoughts. xo

Joanne Faith said...

The cheaper version definitely sounds like a bit of a waste (unfortunately!). Sometimes you really do get what you pay for... and I mean that for both the high and the low!

Shea said...

Have you tried Suave's version yet? I just bought it (actually I got it free with a coupon) and so far I like it. However, I've never used another kind before so I have nothing to compare it to. Also, my hair is a lot shorter than yours! (But I do have a lot of it.)

Kristin said...

I'll have to give the Tigi a whirl as I've yet to find one that works for me!

Elle Sees said...

i use the tresseme version for curly hair and that seems to work better.
most just look like dandruff in my hair though!

Kate said...

This definitely wants me to explore other dry shampoos... I have the tresemme one and it's, like you said, just not very good! It was my first time using dry shampoo, so I just kind of thought maybe I'm not a dry shampoo kind of girl, but maybe I should try the first one you mentioned! I found tresemme left such a gross film on my hair, and definitely did not look fresh!

alittlebitofstyle.com said...

I also tried a less expensive version, and it just isn't working! I pick this one up this weekend! Sometimes it is tough for me since I have curly hair, but with my Keratin treatment right now, I definitely need a good one!

~Jenn

She Wore It Well said...

i must be the only one who hasnt mastered how to make the most of dry shampoo. hmm