October 7, 2011

Friend Friday - Jumping on the Bandwagon

Friend Friday
The Fashion Beauty Friend Friday group was created by Katy over at Modly ChicFor the first and third week of each month Katy puts together a set of questions and on Friday if you want to participate, you answer them on your blog and link back up at Modly ChicOn the other weeks, FBFF will be doing a Visual Friend Friday.

This week, we're talking about fads, trends, and being part of the "in" crowd.

we♥it

1. Do you ever see a fad hit the stores and immediately dislike it? Has that fad ever began to grow on you?
I can't think of anything I immediately disliked. Maxi dresses grew on me over time. I didn't love those when they first became popular and never imagined they could be flattering on almost anyone. Glad I was wrong about that one.
2. Has the popularity of a certain piece of clothing or line ever convinced you to try on something (or purchase something) you dislike?
I would try on something I thought I disliked and then purchase it if trying it on changed my mind. But I wouldn't buy something I didn't like just because it was popular. Why would I do that?
3. Have you ever changed your mind about a trend after seeing it around for a while?
Yeah. The Uggs. They were trendy, then they were everywhere, then 8 years later they were still everywhere, so I got them because I'd wanted them for awhile. 
4. Do you feel a certain pressure to have specific items in your closet because 'everyone' else does?
Not at all. If everyone has something I don't want it because I don't want to be wearing what everyone else is (talking about trends and fads only of course, not applicable to staple items, classics, or basics). 
5. Be honest, what do you think of the Missoni line? Did you grab any items? Is it worth the eBay prices?
I've already posted about what I got, so I won't repeat that. The quality of the line and the pieces in it (that I've seen) are nice pieces and good quality. Everything about the way Target handled it was unprofessional, amateurish, and ridiculous for a retail company that size. I don't know what the eBay prices are, but what something is worth depends on the sentimental value to the customer. I'm not paying a penny over retail for Missoni for Target or virtually anything else on this planet, but that's me. 


If you're interested in FBFF, go to Modly Chic for more information then e-mail Katy if you want to join the group.

25 comments:

Josie said...

I've definitely changed my mind about trends after they've been around for a bit -- skinny jeans, hello. And love that Oscar Wilde quote!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Jess said...

Oh man I had no idea about the ebay/missoni issue! I will have to look into this! Happy weekend!

Mimi said...

i actually didn't get on with the whole missoni for target thing, but i did hear about some negative sentiments about how target handled it. :/

but anyways, it was fun reading her answers. :)

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
Stages of Beauty Giveaway :)

Megan said...

i totally agree with you on the maxi dress part! i think when they first came out they were mainly just jersey dresses that DIDNT flatter people...but when pretty patterns started to emerge it got better. i still dont own any and dont think i ever will, but i have seen some that are nice on people :)

have a great weekend!

this free bird said...

I hear you on trends. Take for instance the neon thing: no. I don't care how many times I see it, who's wearing it, or if it's mandatory. It's not happening. Same goes for those hideous cropped pleated trousers. Those things need to be burned.

You've reminded me I've got your Missoni iPhone case. I'm in the woods at work but will do my best to mail tomorrow!!

xo,
C

Collette Osuna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Collette Osuna said...

Great answers!! Im all for making our own trends,whatddya say? lol


Statements in Fashion Blog

Judy C said...

Your blog is interesting. I've written about being "on trend" at my stage of life(old). I never have liked Missoni so that was a no brainer for me. Uggs are still ugly to me and skinny jeans look like they hurt. However, the maxi dress, which has been in and out often since the 70's is and always been a favorite. I love the way they feel on. As for trends, I've finally decided on how to handle that issue. Take what works if I also like it and leave the rest. It's cheaper that way.

Closet Fashionista said...

Great answers! I'm pretty much the same as you :)
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

Uggs....I was the same way.

Have a great weekend.

Elle Sees said...

i checked ebay and they were 200 for the espresso cups, and 100 and up for the scarves. no thanks. they better not fick up the jason wu!!

Courtney Erin said...

Your answer to the Target question is spot on!

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.com

Kristin said...

I got a pair of Emus...same idea as Uggs. They're ugly as sin, but oh so comfy! HA!

Bonnie said...

I totally agree with you on the way that Target handled the Missoni line. It was such a disaster.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

la petite coquine said...

I think personal style is so much more important than being strictly fashionable-and you've got it!

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Love that Oscar Wilde quote! And I'm with you...I would never buy something just because everyone else has it or if I didn't look good on me. Seems kinda pointless, right? I dress to express myself and I like to feel good about what I'm wearing.

Have a great weekend, Katie! xoxo

Taj Acosta said...

Me too on the Uggs, I thought they were so ugly for the longest time! Then they grew on me and I think they are comfy. And uggh the missoni stuff leaves a bad taste in my mouth!

Erin said...

Love you Oscar Wilde quote-and you answer to the Missoni question!

xx

Erin @ http://www.trufflesnruffles.com/

Yvonne said...

I agree with your sentiment on Missoni, how Target handled and not paying a penny over retail!
Happy Friend Friday!!

Kimberlee said...

I used that quote for another FBFF post :) I definitely disliked how Target handled the collection.

Kavery said...

Ditto on trends. There are so many around that picking only what suits me and makes me comfy makes sense.

catwalk criminal said...

Nice post! I like the quote at the picture ♥

xoxo, dania said...

love your quote!

http://xoxo-carolinalove.blogspot.com

GRIT AND GLAMOUR said...

Haaa...I reversed on the Uggs, too, after living in Australia and realizing they are indispensable as houseboots in the winter! I love my Uggs!

Kaleido Mind said...

looks like a lot of fun!!:D