December 22, 2011

Christmas (Fake) Baking

I know what you're thinking... I don't cook. So I certainly have no business baking, where you have to be precise about measurements and... and... know stuff about cooking. Yeah. Anyway, don't worry. If you've seen my pictures on Instagram, you know I'm a fan of the Christmas Fake Baking. What's that you say? It's where you make stuff without ever actually making anything:
Chocolate dipped Oreos. Just like it sounds - Oreo, dip it in melted chocolate, add sprinkles. Easy enough. 
Milk and white chocolate dipped pretzel rods. Seriously, just melt some chocolate and start dipping stuff in it. Easiest thing ever. I've done regular pretzels in the past, but I thought these looked better. Plus it's easier since you have something to hold on to where as with regular pretzels, you're digging it out of the chocolate and making a big mess. That could just be me, though. 
Carrie's Peppermint Bark.  This was actually the 2nd round of this. The 1st time the bark would never harden. Turns out you shouldn't add milk to chocolate to make it melt faster. (What? It was clumping. Milk sounded logical to me.) I can screw up even the easiest sounding tasks in the kitchen. Whatever, the 2nd round worked! 
Between bloggers and Pinterest I've seen a million gorgeous, homemade snowflake cookies. I don't know how to do that. I rolled out already made dough (pretty thin so the cookies wouldn't get too puffy), used the snowflake cookie cutter, let them cool, spread white icing on them then decorated with the little pearls. I'm sure plenty of people would tell me I could make cookie dough and icing from scratch but 1) you must not have been paying attention to how easily I screw things up in the kitchen 2) why would I do that when Pillsbury and Betty Crocker make it for me and do such a nice job?

I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with the results. Taking shortcuts with things like this equals less stress but you still get somewhat homemade goodies sitting around in your kitchen. If cooking isn't your strong suit, it's a pretty perfect compromise!  It makes entertaining pretty easy, too. When we had both families over on Sunday we had a lot of these sitting out!

14 comments:

Audrey Allure said...

Loving these easy-to-make treats!

janettaylor said...

YUMMY YUMMY!

Miss Caitlin S. said...

go you! way to make do with your skillset- I think these all look great. And there's no way in hell I could keep up with the baking i see on blogs... NO WAY.

Collette Osuna said...

Nice nice!! Im a fan of fake baking too.....why not I say:)

Your goodies look yummy!

Closet Fashionista said...

Hehe yayyy, they came out lovely!!
I, on the other hand, loooove to bake and cook (just don't get much opportunity to do it)
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Courtney Erin said...

It all looks so yummy - and you are way ahead of me with the baking...I haven't done anything. And, realistically, I probably won't at this point.

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.com

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

Dude, I think those cookies look perfect. We are going the thicker icing route this year. B likes them better with soft icing. If you do want the other kind, the thinner icing...you can take store bought and thin it with water, then use squirt bottles to decorate the cookies. It will firm up like royal icing. I've also found that chilling the dough after you cut them out helps them not to spread as much. I not saying you need to do any of this, I won't be...just giving you FYI tips.

cbenavides said...

Every time I attempt any sort of cooking/baking endeavor it usually ends in tears, a whole mess of dishes and a blaring smoke detector. I like your recipes - I can feel like a real chef!!

Elle Sees said...

ive not done any baking--wait, i did a batch of cookies for my party. but yeah, i'll be helping out wuth all the food for a wedding on saturday

la petite coquine said...

For someone with no cooking skills, these look pretty fantastic!

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Fabulous job, Katie! I need to take a lesson from you. I'm about to make cookie dough as we speak. I started a tradition about 10 years ago and now I pretty much dread it. Be careful what you start! :)

Josie said...

Katie! They're all so pretty and easy! I love.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime said...

they all look so good...i'd be a sucker for those oreos!

thanks for your nice comment today :)

Pendidikan Nusantara said...

nice info thanks for sharing this articles,visit also Acne Remedies for detail information about acne