April 5, 2012

11 Things Tag

Last week Danielle tagged me in the Eleven Things post. Here are the rules:

1. Post these rules
2. Post a photo of yourself and 11 random things
3. Answer the questions set for you in the original post
4. Create 11 new questions and tag people to answer them
5. Go to their blog/twitter and tell them you’ve tagged them.

Figured I'd go old and random for the picture. This is in 2004 at Mallard Ball, a few months after we started dating. What's Mallard Ball? A sorority party where you dress in camo, basically. Only a sorority could have a party, make the theme to dress in camo, and then stick the word "ball" at the end. 
11 Random Things:
1. I'm allergic to peanuts. For some reason, the peanut allergy is amusing to some people. By some people I mean Jared and my Dad. I do eat peanut butter, though, so obviously it's not that serious.
2. I can play the piano by ear. My Mom was a piano teacher and taught me when I was little and I used to ask her to play new pieces for me so I wouldn't have to learn how to read them. Once she figured out what I was doing she stopped playing them for me. She also warned my piano teacher about this when she stopped teaching me.
3. Math became my most hated subject in school after my awful 7th grade math teacher. I despised it through high school and dropped a math class in college because it was giving me panic attacks (I ended up having to take it anyway because I needed it for my degree).
4. My bedroom in high school had a celestial theme. One night in the middle of the night, I decided I wanted gold stars all over the walls, so I stenciled and painted them with gold paint. My Dad was not amused by this. 
5. When I drove my Explorer, I got in 3 wrecks and got 3 speeding tickets. I've never been in another wreck and have only had 1 other ticket. I think the car was cursed. 
6. I can't leave the house without going back and making sure I've turned off and unplugged my hair straightener. I even bought one that will automatically turn itself off, but I still have to go back and check. 
7. I have to mute the television during ASPCA commercials or I'll burst into tears. I can't name one movie that will make me cry, but an ASPCA commercial will do it every time. 
8. If I watch a TV show I almost always will watch every single episode, from the pilot until it goes off the air. If a show is off for a long time, I'll go back and watch all the episodes before it comes back. Jared and I did this with Mad Men this season and we used to do it with Lost. FYI, I got really depressed watching so much Lost in a short span of time. It's still one of my all-time favorite shows, though. 
9. I have bad reactions to anesthesia and prescription pain medicine. Anesthesia makes me sick and when I'm coming out of it, I'm really upset and sad about random things. After the first eye surgery I kept telling Jared that the nurses in recovery didn't like me. Prescription pain pills just make me feel weird. There was one night after one of the eye surgeries where I kept trying to convince Jared that August was being mean to me. I was completely serious. 
10. I'd love to have the time and money to travel all across the world, but since that's not in the cards right now, we try to take a couple of trips a year to cities in the US we've never been to before. If it works out, this year will be Savannah, GA  and Charleston, SC in May, then San Francisco in August.
11. I find it really hard, and kind of weird, to talk about myself. That's probably why I blog about outfits and makeup and nail polish. It's easy to focus on superficial things. It doesn't sound good when I say it like that, does it? 

Questions Answered:

1. Are you a recipe follower or an inventor when cooking?
I think it's pretty well established at this point that I rarely cook. When I do, I'm a recipe follower, though. I have no confidence that I could come up with something better then something that's been printed. 
2. What is your greatest fear?
Petty fear - spiders and most other bugs. I'll scream and wake Jared up in the middle of the night if I see one, and I nearly made my Mom have an accident in Nashville last May when a cicada got in the car. Serious fear - when I was diagnosed with MS, I had all kinds of horrible misconceptions about it. I still have to remind myself a lot that I was wrong, so I guess that means my fear is that I'll let MS control my life and my thoughts in ways that it shouldn't. I doubt this makes a lot of sense, but it would take forever to try and explain it better. 
3. What was the worst movie you have ever seen?
I think I tried to watch Gigli when it came on TV because it had gotten so much flack for being the worst movie of all time. I can't remember a single thing about it though, so I don't know if that confirms or denies the worst movie ever speculation. 
4. Do you dye your greys or pluck them? If you don’t have any…lie to me and say you do.
I've been dyeing my hair since I was 17. First it was box dye to fix an unfortunate Sun In incident that left me with slightly orange hair. When I was 18 I started getting professional hi-lites, but stopped that at 22 when I had gotten so blonde my hair was starting to feel like straw. I then went really red, then back to brown around the time I got engaged, keeping that through the wedding. Red again briefly, then just stuck with brown and now I'm back to the hi-lites again for the last year or so. 
5. What makes you happier on a sad day?
A bubble bath, a glass of wine, listening to music, reading my magazines or a good book, going for a drive.
6. Post the last pic you took on your phone.
Already showed it on the blog, but the before and after picture of our patio.
7. Have you ever won anything? What was it?
I've won a few blog giveaways! A Shopbop giveaway, a book, a pair of earrings, a bracelet, a Foley & Corinna purse - good stuff :)
8. What is one goal you have for this year?
I'm kind of superstitious. I feel like if I say it, it won't happen. 
9. Favorite song lyric?
Compare where you are to where you want to be, and you'll get nowhere.
- "Uncharted" Sara Bareilles
10. Do you have a habit you wish you could break? What is it?
Is worrying a habit? If it is, I wish I could do that less. If not, it'd be nice to cut back on the OCD thing of checking that my hair straightener is off, the doors are locked, I put the cap back on the nail polish tight enough, my keys are in my purse, etc, etc, etc... Well, I guess that kind of goes back to the worrying, anyway. 
11. What movie can’t you turn off? The one that comes on and sucks you in every time.
As dumb as it is, it's usually one I already own like The Break Up or Top Gun. 


My Questions:
1. What's your zodiac sign? Do you fit the characteristic and traits of it?
2. What city would you most like to travel to that you've never been to?
3. Have you ever broken a bone? Which one(s)?
4. What's one thing most people don't know about you?
5. What's the last movie you saw in the theater?
6. What do you order at a coffee place?
7. Can you whistle?
8. What's the most impulsive thing you've ever done?
9. If you could pick 3 different things to eat for the rest of your life, what would they be?
10. Who is your hero?
11. If you wrote a book about your life, what would the title be?

And here's who I'm tagging:
Carrie from This Free Bird
Amanda from A.Co Est. 1984
Caitlin from Candyfloss & Persie
Lena from A Crimson Kiss

14 comments:

Miss Caitlin S. said...

haha- but you can eat peanut butter?!? So what happens to you when you have a reaction!

Piano by ear- toooo cool. My BF's Mom is a music teacher so he can play most instruments by ear, I find it fascinating as I can't do it at all.

I'm with you on number 6! I always go back in after I've locked up to find that I turned everything off, it's SO annoying.

ASPCA- can't even discuss...

I've never gone fully under but I've heard horror stories about anesthesia. I'm scared the first time I need to!

10- I think that's what we all do :) Exciting trips!

haha I've never seen Gigli... I feel like I should since it's so bad.

I started getting gray hairs..haha, so now my hair dye does more than just allow me to feel better, it covers signs of aging!

THANKS! I didn't have time to blog tonight but I'll post about this next week!! and I'll have to chekc out Lena tomorrow- she's the only blogger there I don't know!

Statements in Fashion said...

Piano? go you.......Id love to learn to play....so nice knowing more about you sweets!

Closet Fashionista said...

Wow you are lucky, if my brother ate a peanut he would die....
Loving all these facts, its so fun learning about other bloggers, haha :D
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

I love this! Thanks for playing. I too watch every episode. I just can't stop once I start. I watch ER long after that show jumped the shark. I triple check flat irons and ovens too. Goes along with that OCD over-worry thing that I too have. And those ASPCA commercials are the worst! Total cry fest.

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

And remind you to send you my SF recommendation list before your trip. If you don't eat at tacolicious you'll be sorry!!

Courtney Erin said...

I also used to get panic attacks over math class. It was terrible. And those commercials make me cry too - but I'm a pretty weepy person so a lot of stuff tends to make me tear up.


Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

Couture Carrie said...

Fun post!
Love Mad Men :)

xoxox,
CC

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Loved this! And you know what, I'm the same way about ASPCA commercials! They're heart wrenching, aren't they? xoxo

Lena at A Crimson Kiss said...

You know I always love getting to know you better–and opening up about your fears was so brave and beautiful. Even though those are a lot of complex emotions, I think we can all understand paralyzing fear, and I know if anyone can break through it, it's you.

As for your questions, here it goes!

I'm a Leo, and embarrassed by how well it suits me. To a t, really.

I feel lucky to have done so much traveling as a kid, but I'd love to see Greece someday.

No broken bones, thank goodness! For a long time, most people in my "real life" didn't know I was a wedding blogger, but nearly everyone does now. I'm some ways I think I keep more secrets from those people than I do my readers/blog besties–John and I aren't even "engaged" on Facebook!

A girlfriend and I are seeing Hunger Games tonight–I can't remember the last movie I saw before that!

I always order tea–coffee or espresso makes me jittery beyond belief, not so unlike your reaction to pain meds!

My whistle is pathetic, and so are my impulsive actions–I would have to say moving to CA, although I had months to debate it!

Right now some terrible human being is pinning the most amazing looking grilled cheeses, so I'd say grilled cheese, raspberries, grilled cheese.

My hero is my mom–she's been through hell, but still finds joy. It's a quality I hope she passed on to me. And my book title would be...How many ledger lines?! My highest high note right now is an A6, but I'm working on that B!

Taj Acosta said...

This was so cool to read! I can play the piano by ear too! Hope you have a great easter wknd! xx -taj

Josie said...

I follow TV shows all the way through too -- no matter how rough they get. Examples? 7th Heaven. Enough said.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

twiggy@thedirtlife said...

haha...i always ALWAYS leave my straightener on and my husband flips when he gets home and sees the red blinking light.

i'm such a mess.

oh, and i totaled my first car. never been in a wreck since. sometimes we just gotta DESTROY the first one.

momto8 said...

fun to know about a fellow blogger!!
interesting too. usually musically gifted students are good in math too!!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

Elle Sees said...

same about anesthesia...throw up everytime. and they won't let you go home/into your room until you're better...and i *hate* that.