June 22, 2012

Friend Friday - After the Wearing

Friend Friday
The Fashion Beauty Friend Friday group was created by Katy over at Modly Chic. Each week there is a theme or a set of questions and on Friday if you want to participate, you make a post on your blog and link back up at Modly Chic.


This week we're talking about after the wearing - how often you clean out your closet and what happens when you do.


we♥it


1. How often do you go through your closet to purge the things you no longer wear?
Not often enough. Before we bought this house, when we were in an apartment and then a townhouse, I was forced to clean out several times a year because of space limitations. Space isn't an issue now, so laziness stops me from doing closet clean outs as often as I should. When I finally did it last year it took months. Literally. 
2. What do you do with the things you are through with?
See if anyone I know wants any of it, consign and eBay things that still have tags or are somewhat valuable, then donate the rest. 
3. Have you ever sold on consignment or through online boutiques? What has your experience been like?
I've done a consignment store and eBay. It's worth it if something is new, has tags, or is a brand or popular that people want to pay for. Otherwise it's not worth the time.
4. More and more people are concerned about the fast rotation of fashion and how that is filling our landfills. What are you doing to decrease your clothing trash pile?
I can't say that I've ever worried about my clothing items ending up in landfills. Yes, I'm sure things do eventually, but like I said I try to find a home for things I don't want anymore. 
5. What's been your favorite/best score from a thrift store or consignment shop?
I've never bought anything in a consignment shop and the only time I've bought things in a thrift store were in college for swaps and sorority parties. I was unimpressed with what I found then so I never made an effort to go back. I think how good the items you find in thrift stores varies in different parts of the country and in Alabama, it's nothing to write home about.

If you're interested in FBFF, go to Modly Chic for more information then e-mail Katy if you want to join the group.

9 comments:

Simone said...

Nice answers! I do the samte with things I am through- if none of my friends want anything I donate it to charity.

Kisses from Austria,
Simone

geewrite! | Follow me | Twitter

Couture Carrie said...

Fun post!
Love ebay!

xoxox,
CC

Andi said...

I tend to agree with your thoughts on thrifting. I see all these other bloggers who find awesome stuff, but I usually strike out! Glad I'm not alone.

this free bird said...

If only we could thrift together, I think we could tear it down!

Lena at A Crimson Kiss said...

Thrift or consignment shopping can be so hit and miss–I found a gray boucle Issac Mizrahi coat with a silver fox fur collar in a little strip mall once! But for the most part–no thank you.

CC said...

I've always found great stuff in consignment and thrift stores. I guess it does depend on the area and what you are looking for in thrift stores. ;)

Josie said...

I always try to find homes for my clothes too -- starting with friends, then on to consignment and charities.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

SACRAMENTO said...

Really interesting post katie.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Jenny @ Spry On The Wall said...

I loved reading everyone's answers on this topic!