October 9, 2012

Whole 30 - Week 1



It's Day 9 of Whole 30, so obviously I made it through Week 1. On the Whole9 site, they post the above graphic to let you know how Week 1 goes for a lot of people. It's pretty accurate. A day of anything is no big deal, so the first day is easy. Day 2 and 3 Jared and I both felt sluggish (from the sugar and carb detox), although this is also when I needed my B12 shot so I didn't know what was sugar detox and what was B12 deficiency for me. For me on Day 4 I definitely had a couple of meltdowns, but Day 5 was better. 6 and 7 were over the weekend and I slept in majorly on Sunday. 
So - yeah, pretty accurate.
That said, nothing has been terrible. Nothing is unbearable. It's not any amount of fatigue or irritability I'm not already used to (guess what, when you live with 2 auto immune diseases, you put up with a lot of crap). 
What has helped the most, outside the lovely Whole 30 Facebook crew, is planning ahead. On Sunday we make a huge grocery run, meal plan, and do prep work that night. It makes the week go much smoother knowing what meals we're having and doing some of the work ahead of time. Thursday night we went to a concert and Saturday we were gone a lot of the day to a fundraising event and both times I put snacks for us in my purse (I feel like my mom...). 
Planning ahead. Do it. You have no excuses when everything is set for you.

It's only 30 days! This really hasn't been that bad. I love my carbs and sugar, but it's not like there's not plenty of things to eat on Whole 30. 

11 comments:

Josie said...

You guys can do it! Plus, it's one week down... And I bet by the end of next week you'll be feeling AWESOME.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Miss Caitlin S. said...

yes, planning ahead is SO key!!! I'm glad you're getting into your groove after meltdowns.

Miss Caitlin S. said...

yes, planning ahead is SO key!!! I'm glad you're getting into your groove after meltdowns.

Closet Fashionista said...

Yayyy, you're a third of the way through! Sounds like you guys are doing pretty well with it :)
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

So awesome! You're getting there! I love hearing your day by day breakdown. I'm considering doing it myself :) xoxo

Lena at A Crimson Kiss said...

My grandfather used to say, Cut twice, measure once. Somehow my parents never learned the lesson of plan ahead, but he definitely taught it to me! Glad it's going well!

Couture Carrie said...

Great job, darling!
Keep up the amazing work!

xoxox,
CC

Ali W. said...

Yay! This is awesome! Just came across your blog and wanted to tell you that I think it's great! :)

Ashleigh said...

Awesome! Keep going!!

GRIT AND GLAMOUR said...

Keep at it! You and your hubby should be so proud of your commitment. I promise, you're going to feel great by day 30!

Elle Sees said...

Might have to try this!