November 15, 2012

Urban Decay Palette - which one?

With the Sephora 20% off VIB sale, the make up spending freeze finally had to come to an end. I'll do a full post on what I picked up, but one of the things I was trying to decide was which Urban Decay palette get. In the past, I'd probably get both, but with all my cleaning out the last couple of years I'm trying to do better. So here's what I was deciding between:

The Vice Palette
This set contains:
- 20 x 0.03 oz Eyeshadow in: Desperation (greyish taupe brown matte-satin), Muse (dark reddish brown w/ golden and multi shimmer), Jagged (matte black base w/gold metallic), Blitz (Bright gold metallic), Penny Lane (bronze metallic w/gold glitter), Junkie (dark green-blue w/ gold shimmer), Chaos (vibrant royal blue w/ very subtle shimmer), Unhinged (electric turquoise blue metallic), Occupy (dark grey-blue metallic), Black Market (dark charcoal black matte-satin), Provocateur (light greyish pink w/lots of multi-glitter), Rapture (dark greyish purple w/multi-shimmer), Vice (dark eggplant w/subtle red shimmer), Noise (dark reddish-pink metallic with big gold glitter), Armor (greyish brown metallic w/ silver micro-glitter), Nevermind (light taupe-brown shimmer), Echo Beach (light wheat-champagne shimmer), Anonymous (light whitish-pink nude matte), Freebird (light peachy-pink w/ silver micro-glitter), Laced (pinky-taupe matte)
- Double sided brush 
$59.00

Smoked Palette
This set contains:
- 10 x 0.03 oz in Kinky, Freestyle, Mushroom, Backdoor, Blackout, Barlust, Rockstar, Evidence, Loaded, Asphalt
- 0.04 oz 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion
- 0.13 oz Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Original
$49.00

Ok, so basically with the first you get 20 full sized eyeshadows and a double sided brush, and with the 2nd you get 10 full sized eyeshadows, a mini primer potion, and a full sized 24/7 liner (which retails for $19). This still makes the first a better value, but when I looked at reviews and swatches, I knew I'd get much more use out of Smoked than Vice. The colors looked like ones I'd use more and I think the quality seemed better as well.  So for that reason, and that I've been wanting to pick up Perversion, I ordered Smoked. The better value doesn't matter as much if you're not going to use it!

Enter the Shopbop $100 Gift Card giveaway!

6 comments:

bravegrrl said...

i'd choose smoked as well :)

Closet Fashionista said...

I would have gotten smoked too! Definitely a better choice, the colors look a lot better :)
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Couture Carrie said...

Amazing palettes!
I need the first one!

xoxox,
CC

Alexa said...

Hmmm...number one! Tough choice though!

Josie said...

I would've gone with the Smoked too -- I love the colors!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

At the end you gotta go with what you use. I'm so bummed I missed out on the VIB discount! I was waiting for it but then only realized too late it was for VIBs;

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living